You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Way to scale rounded corners proportionally?

Is there a way to scale corners proportionally without having to convert to curves? And why'll I'm at it, how about line thickness? Can that be scaled proportionally without expanding the stroke?

Sorry if this has been answered before, it seems such an obvious thing to ask for but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If you scale an object numerically by going to the Transform panel and typing a percentage into the Width or Height control after locking the aspect ratio, you can rescale the corners proportionally by going back to the Corner Tool and typing the same percentage into the Radius control on the Context toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you scale an object numerically by going to the Transform panel and typing a percentage into the Width or Height control after locking the aspect ratio, you can rescale the corners proportionally by going back to the Corner Tool and typing the same percentage into the Radius control on the Context toolbar.

Not bad. But unfortunately, it doesn't work if your artwork contains corners with different radii. Typing 50% in the input field will set all corners to the same radius which is not what it should be doing IMO.

Not bad. But unfortunately, it doesn't work if your artwork contains corners with different radii. Typing 50% in the input field will set all corners to the same radius which is not what it should be doing IMO.

That's a good point. We could do with a more flexible option.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Interesting, 'cuz if you make a simple rectangle or rounded corner rectangle the corner controls are in % or dimensions.

And when you resize the object they scale proportionally (or not). 

Why the dedicated corner tool can't do % and has to be baked is interesting.

(maybe the 90º start angle is integral to %??)

Or... was the question something different. Like, you have a 500px square with four different corner radii and you want to keep the square at 500px but change all the corners at once by 50%.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ugh! Battling with this in my work today. It is painful.

Please can we have proportional corners with the Corner Tool?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 month later...

Bump. Constantly resetting values for corner radii after scaling the object. Current workflow is:

- duplicate object
- bake corners on duplicate
- scale original and duplicate
- match corner radii on the original to the duplicate
- delete duplicate.

Painful.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

PixelPest — exactly, but for dynamic corners. The corner tool is amazing (although I have no idea why the 'c' shortcut from the beta was removed), but the set radius does not scale with the object.

To ELI5 — if I draw a 100mm square, convert to curves, and add 20mm radius to a corner with the corner tool, then scale the square to 50mm, the corner remains at 20mm radius instead of scaling to 10mm as would be logical. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but hey ho...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Still need this functionality. Current project is full of corners - I thought the corner tool was going to be a blessing, but now it is a curse, having to pick through the design looking for unbaked corners that are screwing everything up :(

The lack of this feature is extra frustrating since the code for proportional corners already exists in the rounded rectangle tool.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

On 7/12/2019 at 10:30 AM, cleay said:

PixelPest — exactly, but for dynamic corners. The corner tool is amazing (although I have no idea why the 'c' shortcut from the beta was removed), but the set radius does not scale with the object.

To ELI5 — if I draw a 100mm square, convert to curves, and add 20mm radius to a corner with the corner tool, then scale the square to 50mm, the corner remains at 20mm radius instead of scaling to 10mm as would be logical. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but hey ho...

I second the missing 'c' shortcut. I assume there is some logic to it, but it was disappointing to discover

Just to say that whilst no one is entirely sure why the ‘C’ short cut went missing in the recent Designer, it wasn’t given to any other shortcut so it can still be reassigned to the Corner Tool again in Designer’s Preferences.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

10 minutes ago, markw said:

Just to say that whilst no one is entirely sure why the ‘C’ short cut went missing in the recent Designer, it wasn’t given to any other shortcut so it can still be reassigned to the Corner Tool again in Designer’s Preferences.

Nice thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...