You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo or Lightroom 6 for Basic Edits?

Photography is purely a hobby for me, and all I am interested in is a way to develop my RAW images and apply filters such as dehaze, etc. I refuse to pay for a subscription, Adobe. Affinity Photo looks attractive due to its price, but I was wondering which would be better for my use? Are there any particular advantages of lightroom for my specific use scenario? Thanks.

Lightroom is a perfect programm but costs also a lot more. I have use Lightroom and Affinity. And Affinity i do use most. Lightroom does have a catalogfunction. Which is great and usefull. But is you don't have hundreds of RAW every shoot. Affinity is defenitly a winner. And it's not expensive too. So give it a try. 

• Staff

Hi TheDesertBoy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Lightroom is not directly comparable to Affinity Photo. If you need a reference you can compare it to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW. It let's you work locally with selections, masks, channels and other advanced compositing tools that are not usually available to DAM's. On the other side it doesn't manage libraries. Although you can perform batch jobs, it doesn't provide you an workflow to work with a large amount of images at the same time, spreading the same settings/presets across them, keeping them independent from the RAW files themselves (except for DNG) for later use, and other functions typically reserved to DAM's.

So if you work just on a few photos at a time, Affinity Photo provides photo compositing tools to perform almost anything you want. If you have to quickly select and process several hundred photos from a photoshoot for example then it may not be the best tool for the job. We do intend to offer own own DAM (digital assets management) software solution later.

I have LR4 and both Affinity programs. I like them all but I will not pay a subscription for LR or Photoshop. One thing I've always used are the NIK plugins. Since NIK is now free, and works with Affinity Photo, I don't see the need for anything else. The LR catalog function is great for pro's or hobbyists who take lots of photos but I never liked it. I don't shoot enough to get any real use out of it and would rather organize my own.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD