You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi deer,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What macOS version are you running? If you are running El Capitan or Sierra you can use the Edit in Affinity Photo extension to send RAW files from Apple Photo to Affinity Photo.

To use the extension in Apple Photos double-click the thumbnail of the photo you want to edit, click the Edit Photo button on the top right of the interface (you will be switched to a black (editing) interface, click the Extensions... button on the right sidebar (on bottom) and select Edit in Affinity Photo extension. If the extension doesn't appear in the list, click the More button instead and make sure all Affinity extensions are checked in the Extensions section of the macOS Preferences dialog that will open.

• Staff

Hi deer,

You shouldn't open files stored in the Apple Photos library directly in Affinity Photo. Apple Photos stores these images inside a single file with the extension .photoslibrary which he manages directly. If you start changing the files stored inside using external software you may end up corrupting its library, because Apple Photos is not aware of the changes you make to the files externally. This is not recommended.

If you want to edit a file you have in you Apple Photos library without using the Affinity extension you have to export the RAW file from Apple Photos to a folder on your computer and open that file in Affinity Photo for editing (select the photo in Apple Photos and go to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original). After you finish the edits in Affinity, export to a file format supported by Apple Photos and import it again there.

You shouldn't open files stored in the Apple Photos library directly in Affinity Photo. Apple Photos stores these images inside a single file with the extension .photoslibrary which he manages directly. If you start changing the files stored inside using external software you may end up corrupting its library, because Apple Photos is not aware of the changes you make to the files externally. This is not recommended.

Some Mac users may not know they can open images stored in an Apple Photos Library directly from Affinity Photo in one of two ways:

1. Use the built-in Media Browser (on the View menu)

2. Use the Photos > Media item on the sidebar of the open dialog window (you may need to scroll down the sidebar to see it)

You can edit images opened this way in AP without causing any problems as long as you do not try to save the edited file back to the .photoslibrary library container. AP enforces this by disabling the "Save" command on the File menu, leaving the "Save as..." command enabled. That can be used to save a copy as a native format (.afphoto) file, preserving all the non-distructive filters, history (if enabled), & so on, or you could export it to jpg to add to the Photos library as a new photo, independent of the original. Easier still for that is to use the File menu > Share > Add to Photos item.

For completeness, the second direct-opn method above is provided by OS X & the first one is a third party enhancement based on it. Both work to open any image file in any of Apple's proprietary library containers (including those for iPhoto or Photo Booth if you have them on your Mac).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The OP was asking about opening RAW files from Apple Photos. Those methods will only import the files as JPG's.

I am aware of that. I began my post with "Some Mac users may not know ..." because I thought what followed might be of interest to some Affinity users wondering if it was OK to use those methods to open any image file stored in any of Apple's library containers.

For completeness, I should have mentioned that the files will always be imported as JPEGs. I was going to add that as a footnote but I was called away from my computer to handle a more pressing matter before I could do that & rather than leave the reply open I just posted what I had already written. Sorry about any confusion that might have caused/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7