You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta expired

Hi Miguel,

please don't take my cynical comment personally, since I'm aware that it's not your fault when things go wrong on this level. As you can see the crash happened with the "so called" stable version (not the beta, since obviously no beta is running any more). Oh, I have to correct myself! Serif nerver called it "stable" ... it is called "Retail" :-) ... Regrettfully there was no recovery version of my document available so I had to start from scratch ... Thank god I seriously increased the frequency of saving files and making backups since I'm working with AP/AD ;-)

PS: looks like there's no bank holiday for you in Protugal ;-)

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Don't think so, I've had to put one of my projects on hold for the last 2 days as it needed to use fixes that were in the latest beta(s).

Serif has dropped the ball on this one, hopefully they will take note and not let this situation arise again.

Seriously not happy about this.

Carl, on every beta post this is the first sentence:

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing.

There will be a new beta available soon. Hopefully today. One was scheduled to be released last week, but due to a bug, we couldn't release it.

Carl, on every beta post this is the first sentence:

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing.

The second sentence needs the second "you" removed. It should say "... or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing." Alternatively, if you really want to say that the user rather than the activity may be adversely affected, try rewording it to "... or for any other activity that may adversely affect you if the application fails." soapbox.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hmmm, this all implies, that the retail version is suitable for production use ... ;-) ... and it brings me to the question if Serif makes a difference between a full unrecoverable crash of a beta version or a full unrecoverable crash of the final release. But I guess that I'm on the safe side here since I stricly(!) let my documents for production purpose crash with the retail version :-)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

@Serif

The bottom line is that the latest beta was considerably more stable and usable than the officially released version.

"As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing."

It did not fail me, it was working fine, you effectively crippled it, without apparently any thought of what problems this may create

I am not here just to beta test your software releases  - although I will report bugs and help others when I can.

I need to use your software for my work and I don't think my work and livelihood should have been affected due to bad planning on your part or a total disregard of "your" beta testers

Every single piece of software I use or have ever used has bugs in it but if it can still do those jobs that I need it to do then it's still a valuable piece of software for me.

The latest beta release did not crash on me, it was working perfectly for the project I needed it for. 

To effectively withdraw it without providing any sort of replacement was a serious lack of judgement.

Fortunately I work on multiple projects at the same time so I am not sitting here anxiously waiting for you to get another beta released.  Or else I would be a hell of a lot more angrier than I am at the moment

You need to seriously rethink how you handle beta releases, either supply a new release before the old one expires, or re-release the same beta with an extended life so people can carry on using it if they want to.

Catch all phrases such as ...

"As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing."

Should not be taken as a get out clause for you to do whatever you want.

If you want your beta releases thoroughly tested then what better way is there than to have them used in a production environment but if you want that sort of commitment from your users you need to show the same sort of commitment to them and not leave them stranded due to your own failings to properly manage the timings of your beta releases or to properly understand how your user base works. Especially those users that choose to participate in testing your beta releases.

Time for a cup of tea

Camomile & Valium flavour should do the trick

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Why latest beta .63 wouldn't become the new "official release" while waiting for a new beta, I didn't have any problem with it. This way, we could keep working for one, and we would have all our imported brushes, styles and other "imports". I can't work with the .54 release as it shuts down by itself all of a sudden and I loose all my work... and then.. my blood pressure goes up.....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Why latest beta .63 wouldn't become the new "official release" while waiting for a new beta, I didn't have any problem with it. This way, we could keep working for one, and we would have all our imported brushes, styles and other "imports". I can't work with the .54 release as it shuts down by itself all of a sudden and I loose all my work... and then.. my blood pressure goes up.....

The 54 release is more buggy than the 63 beta

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

... and then.. my blood pressure goes up.....

Carl has already provided the answer to that! ;)

Time for a cup of tea

Camomile & Valium flavour should do the trick

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.