You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta expired

Hi Guys,

Started up this morning, and I get the message that my Customer Beta has expired, and then I am taken directly here to the Beta forum.

Did a lot of work in AP yesterday without this problem.

I do own a registered copy of the program.

Please advise, as I would like to continue with my work.

Do I have to go back to the last full release?

Thanks!

post-47670-0-52769600-1493544412_thumb.gif

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

Thank you. Is there a new Beta due soon then?

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

Thanks MEB, appreciated!

Seems to be a slightly ridicuslous policy to let a beta version - that is restricted to people who own the full version anyway - run out before a later version is available (unless an unexpected apocalyptic bug has been found and all versions have immediately been ordered to refrain from working for security purpose and to save the world from evil *G*) ... sure, we should not mix up a beta with a new release, but still this stupid 3-week restriction for a beta version does not make any sense - unless you forcefully want to prevent people from further testing and improving your software... (succeeded here!). So no more testing and everybody get back to the old final version ...  

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Photo Beta expired, same for Designer Beta.... quite frustrating.... this should not exist for owners of the full versions. I use them both almost every day for my work and having to go back to the "official release" and to the bugs that were fixed in the beta.... I hate that. I appreciate very much your software... but I have to say that you missed this one.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Yes, there will be a new beta out soon for Windows.

If there's been an unexpected delay with the new beta, it would have been better to reissue the latest beta with a new expiry date so that users could continue to benefit from the fixes and improvements that it brings to the table.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, Alfred said:

If there's been an unexpected delay with the new beta, it would have been better to reissue the latest beta with a new expiry date so that users could continue to benefit from the fixes and improvements that it brings to the table.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37691-betas-wont-open-requires-retail-version-which-is-already-installed/?p=187052  :ph34r:

seems like Serif is still like...."not so important to schedule betas correctly" , happens in the Mac side just the same ever since the beginning 

Interesting to we windows users that Mac users have been experiencing this already. Pity, for such intrinsically good software. Credibility is damaged. But all the pre 1,5 betas went reasonably well.

The big difference with the pre-release Windows betas is that they usually came out 7 to 10 days apart, and even when it was a bit longer than that it was never as much as a month, so there was always a working beta version available for use.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

A beta should only expire/ be pulled once a new live release has occurred. That live should be a stable release of the prior beta. The whole beta/live cycle seems a little disjointed at this point.

The manual process of beta notification via the forum and the limited expiry add to these issues.

Hope it can be made more slick.

Cheers P.

As an addendum; as a paying owner of AP I would prefer that the application notifies me at Opening that a Beta is available and gives me the download option then without expiry.

Expiry would only occur once a new beta appears.

An option to 'ignore', 'always download' or 'ask me each time' would assist further.

Hope that helps.

Cheers P.

I agree with everything said here. I.5.1.63 Beta proved a major improvement for me personally. It is a ludicrous situation that I now have to revert to 1.5 with the beta improvements having been negated due to the expiry of the Customer Beta. The customer should have the choice, especially as Serif are expecting feedback.

I agree with everything said here. I.5.1.63 Beta proved a major improvement for me personally. It is a ludicrous situation that I now have to revert to 1.5 with the beta improvements having been negated due to the expiry of the Customer Beta. The customer should have the choice, especially as Serif are expecting feedback.

Agreed. Why should we have to revert to a product that is technically inferior to the Beta we were using? Sort this out a.s.a.p.

As nobody from the Developper Team is rushing to give us an answer, I like to think that they are working very hard to come up today with a new Beta, or even an official release, that is very much improved, blazing fast, with all we asked for..... and please... don't wake me up.....

Just kidding.... I'm sure that they are really working very hard, and we are like kids on Christmas Eve....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

.....and we are like kids on Christmas Eve....

Don't think so, I've had to put one of my projects on hold for the last 2 days as it needed to use fixes that were in the latest beta(s).

Serif has dropped the ball on this one, hopefully they will take note and not let this situation arise again.

Seriously not happy about this.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi all,

We usually have a new Beta available before the last one expires but sometimes due to some issues or delays (and in this case Easter holidays and and bank holidays as well) things weren't so smooth (again). I'm sorry for the trouble/inconvenience this is causing. We should have a new Windows beta soon. Today is a bank holiday in UK and in a few more countries as well so most of the staff isn't around. But there should be (hopefully) some news this week.

Please avoid to use the Beta for commercial/important work. I know it contains some fixes that may solve some of the issues with the retail but it's really not intended to be used as a replacement for the retail version, only for testing and feedback. Besides the expiry date, there may be changes/upgrades to the file format, the need to force a reset or other issues/bugs that may prevent it from working or output/save files incompatible with the current retail version. The only exceptions are release candidates and minor fixes after a Retail update where the changes are usually minimal and focused in solving very specific issues. In any case we always provide that info in the Beta's announcement thread (in the beginning of the post).

• Staff

Hi DarkClown,

As i said, i'm sorry you are experiencing those issues. We will try to fix them and provide an updated version as fast as we can. Still, the point i was trying to stress out is that using the Beta for serious work may lead to other types of issues and as such we do not recommend to use it as a replacement for the Retail version.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.