sharkfish

Affinity will not stitch exr32 files into hdr panorama

Here's my scenario

I have a lenovo laptop running win10 with an i7 quadcore 2.6ghz cpu, 16g ddr4 memory and a nvidia gforce graphics card with 4g of memory.

After watching the youtube tutorial on hdr panoramas, on the Affinity channel,  I attempted one of my own, merging 7 raw files to hdr with no tone mapping and repeated the process on one additional image. Exporting both files as open exr documents using the default settings.  I then attempted to stitch these two files as a panorama but instead i am greeted with a dialog box that says panoramas not found. (file attached)

i am not sure what i am doing wrong. 

Please help. 

P.S.   on the video i noticed all the files in the dialog have thumbnail images with the filename before they are stitched, my dialog box only shows the affinity logo.

post-58009-0-44723300-1493510336_thumb.jpg

Hi, welcome to the Affinity forums.

You say "file attached" but there is only a screenshot!  Did you actually intend to attach your .exr files?  I suspect doing so may be the only route by which any other user or the developers can suggest a solution for you.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

Hey sharkfish,

I think the app is struggling to find that common area in both images to be able to stitch it. Photoshop fails to stitch the files and I've also tried exporting them to JPEG's to see if it was a file type issue. 

Hello Chris,

Thanks for responding.

I did some more experimentation and i have no problem stitching my raw files of the same scene, therefore at this point i am not convinced that the software is struggling with this scene. The strange thing is, that when i open any other file type into the panorama dialog i see thumbnails of the images. This includes hdr. When opening the exr documents into the panorama dialog all I see is the Affinity logo beside the filename, no thumbnail. That does not seem correct.

I suspect that there is a bug in the raw to exr conversion.

Would you like me to upload my raw files to you? 

post-58009-0-52430800-1494346384_thumb.png

post-58009-0-83545400-1494346386_thumb.png

Hi sharkfish

Your exr examples used only 2 image whilst your Raw example uses what looks like 4. Does it stitch if use more than 2 exr files? and conversely does it stitch of you only use the 2 corresponding RAW files? There is an issue where not all images get used so this may be what you are seeing here with only a couple of file to stitch

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I have to say that I am a little embarrassed and i'm not sure where to begin.

First of all thank you Chris k for entering the fray.

I sat down last night after work and tried some more experimentation. In doing so i discovered something that i completely overlooked, and this is the embarrassing part, failed to include in my original post. 

On my initial hdr merged bracketed sets i had done some edits in the form of an additional pixel layer for dodging and burning, Having included this additional layer I then exported as open exr 32 bit documents. Apparently the additional pixel layer caused the issue. 

Starting from scratch I went over the process again following all the steps and leaving the merged hdr files untouched. Exporting them as  

exr32 bit documents, I was then able to successfully stitch 5 images into my panorama.

But, to explain further:

When I had failed at a 5 image panorama I made an assumption that the software would have an easier time with just two images. So, when it failed at two I decided to try my hand at posting on the forum for help. (my first one). I used the two image scenario feeling it would be simpler and easier for all that would be involved in the discussion. (boy was i wrong). It seems the software struggles with those two images regardless of the format.

Thank you both for your time. Please forgive my lack of factual detail. 

Chris b, if you are still interested i will upload the raw, or if you desire, the raw bracketed sets. Please post back and let me know.

Best wishes!

Romans 10:9-10

Hey sharkfish,

I'm glad it is sorted and no worries about the missing info from the first post :) The app usually handles stitching 2 images just fine. You are welcome to upload the images if you wish, it's always handy to have sample files to help other users but it is entirely up to you. Thanks for your time!