You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Luminosity Mask Visualization

smadell

I have previously posted 2 sets of luminosity based macro sets. The first set worked on Image and Pixel layers, and created Luminosity Selections that could then be used to create masks, adjustments, filters, etc. They can be found here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27214-luminosity-masks/

The second set of macros was meant to be used directly on Adjustment and Live Filter layers. These applied luminosity based Blend Options to adjustment and filter layers, based on the Image or Pixel layer(s) below the adjustment. They can be found here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30523-luminosity-masks-for-adjustment-filter-layers/

Recently, a post from @danlhayes brought up the question of creating a greyscale representation of the luminosity selection. This would be similar to Option-clicking on a luminosity mask to see that mask in shades of grey. After (admittedly) quite a bit of trial and error, I’ve come up with a set of macros that will do just that. They are attached to this post.

To use the Luminosity Visualization macros, you should do the following:

1) You need to start with a Pixel or an Image layer selected. An embedded Affinity Photo document also seems to work.
2) Click on the macro you would like to represent as a greyscale image.
3) The macro will create a new Pixel layer with the name “LuminosityVisualization” and put it on the top of your layer stack.
4) You can get rid of the LuminosityVisualization layer by clicking on the macro named “Delete Visualization Layer.”

As always, some caveats:

5) You should always delete a previously created LuminosityVisualization layer before creating another one.
6) When you create a LuminosityVisualization layer, it will be placed at the top of the layer stack (so that any other layers you have placed over your Image/Pixel layer don’t confuse the visualization). If you delete the LuminosityVisualization layer and want to create another one, be sure to choose your Image or Pixel layer again.
7) These macros were created using the same Blend Options curves that I used in creating the first two sets of macros. As such, they are meant to be used together with those macros, and not with luminosity selections that may be available from other users.
8) As always, I am one person with one computer. I believe that these macros will work as I’ve stated, but I cannot possibly have tested every possible combination of situations. No guarantees are made; use them if you like them!
9) If you like the macros, they are yours. They are a “thank you” to everyone for helping me learn, and a request to “pay it forward” with continued generosity.

Luminosity Visualization.afmacros.zip

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Happy to contribute where I can. I'm glad they're helping.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17