You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Vector in Illustrator 10?

HI everyone. I tried searching for this but I couldn't find anything specific that would help me.

I have a client who needs a vector file that can be opened up in Adobe Illustrator 8 or 10. I went as far as Illustrator CS6 and then I quit with them. However, I need to know if I can open a .jpg in Affinity Designer and trace it as I would in Illustrator and then save it as a vector file that can be opened in AI 8 or 10. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Renee

• Staff

Hi Reneeci, 

Welcome to the Forums :)

You will be able to trace your image and then export it to EPS,SVG and PDF which should all be compatible with AI :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

You have a couple options. One would be to import it and lock it. Then manually draw over it.

Another option if you don't have Illustrator to auto trace it is to download and use InkScape to auto trace it.

Or, if you would like, I can auto trace it and upload it and you can do any necessary cleanup of it.

If you have much of this type of thing to do, I do recommend at least installing InkScape. I hate the application, but its Potrace module, while seemingly obtuse to use at times, can do a decent job. There are better trace utilities and even on-line ones available.

Here's the AD file. You should be able to export it as an EPS and it open in Illy version 10. I cannot remember how well Illy 10 opens PDFs.

Mike

skull.afdesign

I have Illustrator. CS6. I already traced it in Illustrator but my client needs to be able to open in AI 8 or 10. I don't want to get into a monthly ransom for software so I am going to use AD but I need to be able to create a vector that can be opened in AI.

Thanks for the offer though! That was so nice of you :)

Then I guess I was confused as to why you wanted to trace it in AD...

In Illustrator, when you either go to save it or a copy, just choose the version of the file you want to save it to.

post-255-0-51766200-1493490203_thumb.png

But then, you likely know this too.

Mike