You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PagePlus X9 features and Aff. Publisher compatibility.

Hi,

I am a user of Affinity Photo and Designer and while there are no news or more concrete predictions about the launch of Publisher, I am considering the possibility of buying Serif PagePlus X9 to design photography books for offset printing, although it is a program already discontinued.

Two questions for users of PagePlus X9 and for Serif:

1. Does this program allow me to design a book with many pages with some text, many images, hard cover, dust cover, etc (a book); without any problems? It´s a complete DTP program for offset output?

2. Is it anticipated that the documents created now with this program will be compatible and editable if necessary with the future Affinity Publisher?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Best regards.

1) Yes

It's a great software and even though it's not continued, you can expect it to run and work just fine.

2) No

As far as I know it won't import the documents directly (similar with Designer and Photo, they don't read Draw and Photo files either).

Not for Mac without being able to run Windows on the computer too.

If you go forward with the purchase, do design the covers in a separate file. The contents should be in its own file.

Consider an inexpensive Windows laptop that meets the screen resolution requirements. 4 gigs of ram will work fine, 8 gigs is far better.

You're welcome.

If you have ever had a license for QuarkXPress, up until the next release (which I think is 24 May) the cost is pretty reasonable. They do this prior to each releae.

Viva Designer is another option and is available on the Mac. I believe they still offer a free for personal use version, and the personal license isn't terribly a lot if I recall.

Depending on if color management and consistency is desired, it would be nice to use something that aids that from placing through the pdf creation.

That aside from being able to link image files.

Good luck on the book. I like laying out photo books. Breaks the monotony of text books and manuals.

• Staff

Jennifer McHenry,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

We have said that Affinity Publisher will not have a .PPP import function, sorry. However you should be able to continue to work with PagePlus on those files. The PDF import facility will get the data in for those files where you want to change applications.

It is possible that Publisher will be some years before it has some of the features that you already have in PagePlus.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 29/04/2017 at 6:53 AM, Patrick Connor said:

We have said that Affinity Publisher will not have a .PPP import function, sorry.

Is an importer for WritePlus (*.stt) files out of the question? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)