Hi,

I am trying to do a power duplicate while rotating an ellipse. the amount of rotation needs to be as precise as possible. I and trying to create seven ellipses in a perfect circle. The attached file shows what I am trying to do.

I need seven smaller ellipses equally spaced around a larger ellipse. I have created one and changed its rotation point to the center of the larger ellipse.

It works fine if I manually rotate it but if I enter a precise rotation value (51.428571429) in the transform panel, the rotation point is ignored and it just rotates around itself. Thanks.

post-31161-0-71335700-1493318967_thumb.png

Fred

Hi FredLarson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To rotate with precision use 360/7 in the rotation input field instead.

Currently the Transform panel in Affinity Designer don't work with the external reference point (Rotation Centre icon in the context toolbar), only with the anchor points you find in the Transform panel.

To workaround this draw an auxiliar line from the center of the small circle to the center of the main circle, select both the auxiliar line and the small circle, change the anchor point in the Transform panel to middle on the bottom row and enter 360/7 in the rotation input field. You should be able to achieve what you want with Power Duplicate. You can then delete the auxiliary lines.

For more information about expressions you can use in the input fields please check Help ▸ Affinity Designer Help ▸ Workspace ▸ More ▸ Expressions for field input.

Hi FredLarson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To rotate with precision use 360/7 in the rotation input field instead.

Currently the Transform panel in Affinity Designer don't work with the external reference point (Rotation Centre icon in the context toolbar), only with the anchor points you find in the Transform panel.

To workaround this draw an auxiliar line from the center of the small circle to the center of the main circle, select both the auxiliar line and the small circle, change the anchor point in the Transform panel to middle on the bottom row and enter 360/7 in the rotation input field. You should be able to achieve what you want.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the tip with the line connecting the two centers, it brings a solution to a rather painful problem.