You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Maps - change default and export

I have a couple of questions regarding gradient maps.

First, if possible, i'd like to get rid of the default one (red-green-blue). I never use it. Is it possible? I.e. by making another one the default and then deleting?

Second, i have another Mac and i want to move the gradient maps over from one machine to the other. Couldn't find an export function for gradient maps, but i may have missed it.

Any help is appreciated!

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

AFAIK, there is no way to change the defaults for layer adjustments like gradient map. Also, the adjustment is not part of the layer style attributes, and is specific to the particular  joined object/layer. No way to save it as a discrete style.

Gradient fills can easily be saved as styles, and exported. But I suspect this may not be quite what you want if you are trying to map colors onto the grey scale values of an image.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

First, if possible, i'd like to get rid of the default one (red-green-blue). I never use it. Is it possible? I.e. by making another one the default and then deleting?

As far as I know, it isn't possible currently to delete any of the Adjustments panel defaults, but instead of allowing us to change the default & deleting the previous one, what do you think of the idea of there being *no* default so one is applied from the Adjustment panel only if we click on it?

In other words, opening a preset adjustment category in the panel doesn't do anything other than show the saved presets in that category.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

gdenby and  R C-R, both thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the default, too bad, but it's just a (minor) annoyance. R C-R's suggestions to have no default is something i'd prefer over the current situation.

@gdenby, it's really about gradient maps, not gradient fills. I expect i simply have to rebuild them on the other machine.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• 1 year later...