You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP / AD standard path settings

Hi Affinity staff,

I'm well aware this topic has been brought up before but just let me put it into a defined question again:
AP/AD does not save preferred pathes and setting. One constantly has to enter own standard pathes and setting over and over again. I'm quite aware this topic requires some reasonable effort since it affects so many settings within the programs. But on the other side it is a nightmare for any professional user entering these things again an again. Starting from standard file pathes that need to be available at startup, pathes that have been entered the last time, and should be maintained, standard export settings that should be defined and saved altered if changed ... the list is quite long and I guess you are aware of it ... 

Is there any plan to adapt the software to these essential settings at all? Is this scheduled still in the 1.5 version? Can you give any estimated point of implementation? I'm aware that everybody is asking for features ... but please don't forget the workflow ...  there are people trying to work with the software - on a daily base ... more than occasional users ... and I hope you try to address them with you SW as well ;-)

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

A small proposal/amendment to this - there are quite a few items that could do with persistence.  How about starting a separate thread, i.e. one to cover all so you end up with a list?  This could also include menu selections, such as sticking with "Selected items without background" on export.

The other thing to address is, of course, the scope of this persistence, as it could be per image, per session (multiple tabs share settings) or permanently, with a facility to reset it.  I suspect this will have its own entry in the Preferences and will take some head scratching because at the moment there is, for instance, somewhat of a raging conflict between brush settings like size and changing those for the effect that the USER wants rather than the brush creator.  I get that the brush creator supplies a certain effect, but this takes away design decisions from the user.

Sorry, drifted off topic: collection thread for items that users want persistent - opinions?

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hi Batteriesinc, I fully agree with you. Beeing aware that there are plenty (and partially pretty hidden) settings that need to be saved the one or other way it would make sense to assemble such a list. On the other hand I don't think serif would acknowledge nor even value this. Lists and frequently upcomming topics are not something they do react to ... so it sounds more like a job creation topic for the ambitious user than an appreciated support act.

But to be constructive: I'm willing to assemble all input with regards to settings that should be saved on a general/project or document base within the program in the next post of this thread so lwe keep it together an have a proper overview. We should keep in mind that certain setting may have an overall preference and a document based on the may differ from the initial setting.

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

List of setting that should be saved. 
Each setting can be a general setting(GS) (the initial value AP/AD starts of with - editable in the "preferences" of the program), a document/project based setting (DS) stored within the document or an explicitely saved setting though a seperate Load/Save dialog (LS) ... Few of theses setting have been implemented already. I just add them here for the sake of completeness ...

Example:
- complete Export presets - GS, DS and LS

- preset of the preferred export setting
- resampling Mode (for resize or export) - GS, DS and LS
- general Paths for Load/Save/Export/Brushes/Macros

Started it off here - let's see where this goes.

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.