I want to copy a small square portion of a layer.

I draw a marquee using the box marquee tool

I copy

I paste

It pastes a new copy layer not the marquee selection .

I can mask or fill but i cant seem to copy the selection.

I'm obviously making a very basic error  but i cant find it.

It sounds as though you're working on an image layer, not a pixel layer. Image layers are treated as single objects, so you can only perform global operations such as rotating the image or adding layer effects: you can't work at the pixel level (e.g. for copying a selection). Go to the Layers panel, right-click the layer and choose 'Rasterize...' so that the designation changes from  '(Image)' to  '(Pixel)'.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.1 • Designer for iPad 1.9.1 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

It sounds as though you're working on an image layer, not a pixel layer. Image layers are treated as single objects, so you can only perform global operations such as rotating the image or adding layer effects: you can't work at the pixel level (e.g. for copying a selection). Go to the Layers panel, right-click the layer and choose 'Rasterize...' so that the designation changes from  '(Image)' to  '(Pixel)'.

That was it. Thank you.

For those wondering what an image layer is and why it exists this is the first post i found that explains it.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23041-what-are-pixel-layer-image-layers/

I am a bit curious why create new document from clipboard would create an image layer and not a pixel layer , but affinity does clearly tell you its an image layer I just didnt know to look for it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Really confusing default behavior. Wouldn't it be helpful to let this magic "assistant" thing rasterize the image layer if a selection is present and the user uses copy or cut? Powerusers will get the assistant message, so they're aware of what has happened and novice users doesn't run into this problem.