You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying and pasting selection not layer ?

It sounds as though you're working on an image layer, not a pixel layer. Image layers are treated as single objects, so you can only perform global operations such as rotating the image or adding layer effects: you can't work at the pixel level (e.g. for copying a selection). Go to the Layers panel, right-click the layer and choose 'Rasterize...' so that the designation changes from  '(Image)' to  '(Pixel)'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It sounds as though you're working on an image layer, not a pixel layer. Image layers are treated as single objects, so you can only perform global operations such as rotating the image or adding layer effects: you can't work at the pixel level (e.g. for copying a selection). Go to the Layers panel, right-click the layer and choose 'Rasterize...' so that the designation changes from  '(Image)' to  '(Pixel)'.

That was it. Thank you.

For those wondering what an image layer is and why it exists this is the first post i found that explains it.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23041-what-are-pixel-layer-image-layers/

I am a bit curious why create new document from clipboard would create an image layer and not a pixel layer , but affinity does clearly tell you its an image layer I just didnt know to look for it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Ertagon,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you wish to select and copy/paste from an Image layer there's no need to rasterise it. Go to menu Edit and use Edit > Copy Merged (macOS) or Edit > Copy Flattened (on Windows) instead of the regular Copy, then Paste as usual to get just the selected area in a new layer.
There's a few advantages in having Image layers (besides pixels layers) - you can learn a bit more about their differences here. Hope this helps a bit.

I'm logging the issue with the different names given to the same command so both OS's match. 

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Go to menu Edit and use Edit > Copy Merged (macOS) or Edit > Copy Flattened (on Windows) instead of the regular Copy, then Paste as usual to get just the selected area in a new layer.

I do not seem to find Copy Merged anywhere in AD on my Mac so I assume this only applies to AP & to the Photo Persona of APub (if that persona is available). Is that correct?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, R C-R said:

I do not seem to find Copy Merged anywhere in AD on my Mac so I assume this only applies to AP & to the Photo Persona of APub (if that persona is available). Is that correct?

Correct. And logical, too, because AD & APub have no Pixel Selection Tools. (regardless of the fact that APub can "have" a pixel selection from the APhoto persona).

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 hours ago, thomaso said:

And logical, too, because AD & APub have no Pixel Selection Tools.

What about the various pixel selection tools in the Pixel Persona of AD, like the four marque tools or the freehand selection tool? At least for me, they all work to make a pixel selection, including on image layers.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Oh, yes! Totally overseen. – Correct, also in AD's Pixel Persona is no "Copy Merged" option for me on mac.

Did I read correctly that no specific Affinity application was mentioned before your post in the entire thread? Either @MEB had just APhoto in mind – or there may be difference between Windows and mac. – However, it is not mentioned in the AD help about copy & paste.

27 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Did I read correctly that no specific Affinity application was mentioned before your post in the entire thread?

Yes, that is why I mentioned that it is only AP & the Photo persona of APub that has a Copy Merged option in the Mac versions. I do not know if the Windows versions are any different in this respect, other than the difference in the name of the AP option.

Affinity Photo 

44 minutes ago, thomaso said:

However, it is not mentioned in the AD help about copy & paste.

There is no difference in the AP & AD Mac help for the copy options. Nether one mentions Copy Merged, as far as I can see.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

There is no difference in the AP & AD Mac help for the copy options. Nether one mentions Copy Merged, as far as I can see.

Indeed, this makes it more strange – in particular because this article lists the SVG Copy option + all 5 Paste methods of this menu.

In the APhoto Help Copy Merge is not a copy/paste method but a "Layer Operation".

Note the highlighted sentence above: It seems to express that non-pixel layers are excluded (e.g. Image Layers vs. Pixel Layers?) while Copy Merged is one usage of Merge. Which can be understood as Copy Merge requires rasterization of a image layer.

306105602_helpcopymerge.jpg.97eb4fd8cad187706bd71aa50fb1ddc9.jpg

• 8 months later...