You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art Boards & Pages

I agree with adding pages and art board. I have used Fire Works since it was in beta form. Currently it is the most valuable tool I have - esp. for the web and device app design. Affinity could rival it with the addition of multiple pages.

I am actively looking for tools to replace all of Adobe's apps on my computer. I look forward to the day that I can be Adobe free. 

Thank for this terrific product.

I AGREE!!! 

This looks to be the Fireworks replacement that so many UI Designers are looking for, however we need Pages, Master Page, Symbols. This is a critical feature for guys designing website, mobile apps, and full blown desktop applications.

I would love to start testing this app for you now and integrate it into my daily workflow, however I just can't go back to a single layers palette. Too much extra effort to keep track of all those layers.

Pages/Master Page is important because it lets us design multiple pages in a single document. It also makes it very easy to adjust common things once like backgrounds, headers, footers, etc. without having multiple versions spread across multiple layer sets or files.

Everything else looks pretty solid. I like your color picker, and gradient tool. It is nice. 

Overall, I am excited about your product. I have been using Illustrator, Fireworks, Sketch3. 

Artboards the way that illustrator does them is very strange, putting them all on the same space arranged next each other ... Corel's multi page implementation is really novel, its setup so each page has a tab, clicking the tab jumps from page to page, but all pages share the same surrounding artboard for off-page objects, making it easy to move elements from page to page.

Adobe's way is neat, but because all pages are on the same space and share layers, it ends up being confusing after a while knowing what art boards correspond with what layers. Corel's move to make a single artboard per view, with multiple pages viewable by clicking through a tabbed interface is far less confusing.

Doing this corel's style would likely make layer management easier, since only one page is shown at a time on the artboard, they could potentially have separate layer sets per page.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

• Staff

Hi,

Multi page / spread and imposition control is set to be implemented when Affinity Publisher goes live next year - the capability will be made available in Designer at the time Publisher is released, because the products share a common file format.

We must prioritise tasks - illustration is *primarily* not dependant on multi-page, so it waits for Publisher.

Hope this helps,

AndyS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, artboards are a vital component in my design workflow and I can't live without it. They are not only useful for creating multi-page documents but also do keep ideas together (and batch export them). I also need to create different designs for e.g. front and back and don't want to create a separate document for each. Many components need to be perfectly aligned when creating two-sided work.

I haven't used AD a lot yet because of this missing feature!

Corel's multi page implementation is really novel, its setup so each page has a tab, clicking the tab jumps from page to page, but all pages share the same surrounding artboard for off-page objects, making it easy to move elements from page to page.

+1 for that :) It was suggested some weeks ago :) something must be done with the artboard, nowadays the elements stay unseen... ultil they are selected. A common background for all the pages of a file would be a great thing.

Let's see what the Affinity designers implement!

• 2 weeks later...

This is easily my number one feature request, and yet another area where Freehand nailed it so many years ago. Illustrator's implementation is awful, but at least it's there. It's a key feature that sets Sketch above other "alternative" but otherwise reasonably capable apps like iDraw.

I purchased AD and am very optimistic about its future, but it simply can't replace Illustrator or Sketch for us without support for multiple pages. I keep hoping that this feature from Publisher will show up early in one of the betas.

Hey Andy,

Completely understand the wait for this feature, what would be great would to get access to it on the designer beta as soon as you could. It's a feature set I don't think anyone has nailed yet, you guys could get some valuable feedback getting it into AD users hands as early as possible.

Yes, I jumping on the art board appreciation bandwagon. I am patient and I am not rushing you I just glad it on "board" for implementation at some point.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Multi page / spread and imposition control is set to be implemented when Affinity Publisher goes live next year - the capability will be made available in Designer at the time Publisher is released, because the products share a common file format.

We must prioritise tasks - illustration is *primarily* not dependant on multi-page, so it waits for Publisher.

Hope this helps,

AndyS

Looking forward to this feature! I personally prefer Illustrator's artboard implementation!

I am actually not sure what I think about multiple artboards and pages. Back in the day I used to use FreeHand's multi page feature extensively since PageMaker was so bad and InDesign wasn't very mature yet. With programs like Sketch and the forth coming Affinity Publisher we have good options for making layouts so why not just use those programs for doing the layouts and then use AD for doing the drawing? The nice thing about the single page is that you can see all your drawings in the file system where with multiple pages you have to open each document to see the drawing that is inside. I am not sure if that is an advantage.

Many Illustration apps include Artboards and Pages today because this is a very important feature (Sketch, Illustrator, …). I don't want to always switch apps for a design process. Especially to create mockups I want to have them all in 1 document and not spread over several files for different programs.

A multi-page PDF will be shown with individual pages in the file system and with QuickLook Plugins on the mac you can even have more options for previews.

I have to be honest, I haven't used AD a lot in the past few weeks because of the missing Art Boards. AD is a great tool but I if it doesn't include Art Boards, I will never switch away from Illustrator and Sketch and will certainly not use AD - which is a shame.

I agree with chartan, I'm often working on multiple ideas to show a client and the ability to create a multipage pdf proof using multiple pages right from the app is expected today. We need it to organize projects in a way that makes sense in the design app... I don't want to go back to the days where you have multiple copies of things just to present your work.

will appreciate if you take members request or votes seriously. Its your only ticket to enter the hearts and minds of your target audience an experience that will make them brand ambassador and free from adobe cloud subscription. ensure your products are close to adobe if not the same. i think you guys overall have done a wonderful job looking at the competition.

• Staff

Hello kah,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

It's not just a question of votes. Some features are tied/depend on other components, so there's cases where simply doesn't make sense to move forward with a popular requested feature without having the bases covered first.