You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art Boards & Pages

• Staff

Rest assured, we are reading all the posts, we are taking on board everything that is being said and we do care an awful lot about how you feel about the program and about the direction we're going in.

We've tried to be very honest and upfront at all times about what's coming - the only thing that we can't do is put set dates on things because as soon as we start saying 'before Christmas' for features (for example) then it starts down a road of problems:

- If the feature is definitely not going to be ready, then the user gets let down and feels disappointed that their expectations were not met, especially if they see some other feature they felt wasn't as important getting finished.

- If the feature is nearly ready but not quite then the developer feels under pressure to release within the time frame given and then we get a suboptimal version of the feature or tool, which is not what we want to release to you, and is not what you wanted to receive either!

We've got so many ideas in addition to those on the roadmap document and all of them will come over time - and we'll be trying to make them all reality as fast as we can :)  As Miguel correctly says, some features actually rely on others, some require one piece of technology to be in and working before work can start on them. Sometimes you may be surprised about the order that features appear in, but there's usually a very good reason behind them - and it's not that we've picked some crazy order, it's just that they were dependent on each other. For example, in order to get multiple pages/artboards to draw on screen we need to do many things, but one of them is that I need to make some changes to the OpenGL presentation layer that gets the rendered document image to appear on the screen and in doing so, I will end up with a working canvas rotation feature as a by-product. You may well find therefore that canvas rotation will appear in a beta version before artboards appear, but that doesn't mean we prioritised it - it's that the order of things is not always as clear as it may seem. My personal list of things I'd like to see next is: Corner Tool, Artboards, Symbols, Distances and Snapping improvements, SVG slice export, Mesh Fills... so yes, they're very high on my own list...

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean about art board ? In which software can I see it ?

When I was working with AI, I just duplicated my design in the same document in the same page, never use art board. The problem is that the file is very big (often same elements for small differences between designs).

In AD, I've changed my workflow. I've stopped duplications and I stack layers.

I'd rather like register the current state of my layers to have a quick access of the different options of my designs.

For example : 

Design 1 :

- layer 1 on

- layer 2 off

- layer 3 of

Design 2 :

- layer 1 off

- layer 2 on

- layer 3 off

Design 3 :

- layer 1 off

- layer 2 off

- layer 3 on

It's a very simple example but with complex files, it's very difficult to activate/desactivate manually layers for having the good design.

• 1 month later...

Artboards the way that illustrator does them is very strange, putting them all on the same space arranged next each other ... Corel's multi page implementation is really novel, its setup so each page has a tab, clicking the tab jumps from page to page, but all pages share the same surrounding artboard for off-page objects, making it easy to move elements from page to page.

Adobe's way is neat, but because all pages are on the same space and share layers, it ends up being confusing after a while knowing what art boards correspond with what layers. Corel's move to make a single artboard per view, with multiple pages viewable by clicking through a tabbed interface is far less confusing.

Doing this corel's style would likely make layer management easier, since only one page is shown at a time on the artboard, they could potentially have separate layer sets per page.

I'm not familiar with Corel's way of handling pages, but Adobe's way has the major benefit of allowing to drag and drop easily between artboards.

Only familiar with CorelDRAW, but I love their system of having the tabs below and don't feel like it's a hassle to move an object from one page to another one.  I especially like having elements off the page that are available no matter which page I am working on.

Here is a screen shot.  The objects to the left of the page can be dragged to any page when clicked on below.  Also, if you copy an object, and move to another page, the object is positioned in that page from where it was in a previous page.  (again, sorry, I'm only familiar with CD)

post-80-0-60542100-1424296353_thumb.png

• 5 months later...

I think until Publisher arrives, this discussion is moot. I think we're wanting Designer to have all the bells and whistles. One of the most appealing feature about Affinity's applications is that they are all dedicated applications – not overlapping Frankensteins that Adobe apps have become (one feature is taken from one app, added to another and called an upgrade)

If we need to make a multipage PDF, then we should be working in Publisher because that's no longer an illustration or a logo design, but rather a multi-page document/publication.

What happens when you want to import a Designer file into a Publisher document? (eg: a logo) It should just come straight in and be managed through a links palette, but if you have multiple pages, then you have to choose which page has the logo you want to import. Delete a page ifrom that Designer file and what happens to the link to page 3 (now page 2) of that Designer document?

Nah, keep it focussed, efficient and powerful. Consider the suite of 3 applications rather than the feature list of just one and a better workflow will be realised.

As long as Publisher can support different page sizes in one document, then this multipage debate will be irrelevant (so it allows for designing a business card, letterhead and PowerPoint template within one document so we can cut-n-paste elements between pages and modify swatches across designs, not just limited to booklet-type multipage document)

:D

I am not talking about multi-page products like brochures, books and so on. I am talking about artboards where I can have different versions of a design (e.g. a logo) for a customer or different sizes for a design in the same document. This feature would also be very handy if you design icons.

I have to agree with Stephen_H: I would choose a "Publisher" product for multi-page products but artboards are a must for me for an illustration app. I simply can't live without it.

• 2 weeks later...

the most important feature of art boards would be master pages like in freehand.

Without that it would be a crippled tool like in AI.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

@ Paekke

LOL AI only got artboards and better path tools after they bought and killed Freehand. And pages in Freehand were better than what AI offers with artboards because Freehand also was able to apply master pages. But for that you need InDesign and you are stuck to one page format. ...

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

@ Paekke

LOL AI only got artboards and better path tools after they bought and killed Freehand. And pages in Freehand were better than what AI offers with artboards because Freehand also was able to apply master pages. But for that you need InDesign and you are stuck to one page format. ...

What are you talking about? InDesign can easily deal with multiple page formats in the same document - just use the page tool, and the master pages. With spreads, without spreads, and even alternate layouts are supported of which the objects automatically update their contents based on changes - perfect for mobile wireframes and mockups. Fluid pages are supported as well, with objects automatically adjusting (up to a point, of course).

I am no fan of Adobe's current direction, but InDesign is a tough act to follow in regards to page and template management. Freehand looks positively stone-age compared to InDesign. There is just no comparison.

• 2 years later...