You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Won't be switching from Photoshop

Ok, so after 25 years of using Photoshop, I was intrigued by this app, but after battling with it for a few hours it's just so unlike Photoshop in it's use I can't seem to get my head around why some things are done in the way you've chosen?

I would have thought you'd try and make it the same in the use, so as to allow people to easily jump ship?

:mellow:

• Staff

Hi Bobtographer,

One thing a lot of people don't understand is we haven't designed a PhotoShop clone we've designed a new app. I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get along with Affinity Photo. If you need any help getting to grips with the app please let me know.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

The "musucle memory" is not the problem at all. My muscles know, how to drive a car. And they know, how to drive a motor bike too. There is something in my head, commonly called "brain", which manages quite well, to distinguish both situations.  The real problem is, to accept that different apps work differently, and learning is required. If someone doesn’t accept this, he has not the right to complain. What does one expect: Should Affinity create a Photohop clone with the price of a doodle app?

I am working with Photoshop, and will do this in the future too. But I use Affinity D/P too, because I am assisting and training users below the "industrial graphic design threshold" to get used to applications, which for many reasons fit their needs far better than Photoshop. And I must say: If one accepts, that Affinity Photo is a different app, with different approaches and different behaviour, it is THAT easy to get along with it!

Ok, so after 25 years of using Photoshop, I was intrigued by this app, but after battling with it for a few hours it's just so unlike Photoshop in it's use I can't seem to get my head around why some things are done in the way you've chosen?

I would have thought you'd try and make it the same in the use, so as to allow people to easily jump ship?

:mellow:

Yes Bobtographer, you do have the right to stay with PS, but what I don't understand is why you need to come onto this site and make a statement. You have spent 25 years battling to learn PS, not 'a few hours' that you have given this app (your choice) but to expect these developers to just make a clone of adobe crap is just bat shit crazy.

If I was that unhappy with this app, after using adobe crap as well for a very long time, it would be my preference to just fade away back to adobe, stay stuck, experience nothing.

As far as adobe's desire to take over my computer, send messages back and forth about what is happening on my computer (get an app and watch all the phoning home they do) to justify their invasive desire to restrict the usage of their apps is Orwellian.

But hey if you don't care about being monitored, your choice.

I purchased a stand alone LR 6, bought it outright and sometime last year they decided that they should monitor that. That was it all adobe shit has been wiped from my computers.

So my suggestion is to just quietly leave.

… and I think, it would be better too, if you, p_mac, could moderate your statements!

As I said: I use Photoshop and other CC apps, and they are great application. I use Affinity DP too, and they are great as well.

Nobody is really interested, what you are thinking is "shit". Didn’t it come to your mind, that you aren’t insulting only Adobe (what isn’t really helpful too), but all the users, who are here in this forum and use Photoshop as well? What entitles you, to qualify them to earn their daily money using "shit"?

So: It is ok, that you don’t like Photoshop, but do you really think, that matters in a forum like this? Or should the PC users now take you as an example and qualify Apple computers as "crap" or vice versa? I think, there are enough such aggressive, dividing communities in the net. I think, we don’t need more of them.

You've answered your own question: are you seriously expecting to be as familiar and productive with Photo in a few hours as you are with PhotoShop after 25 years?

Many of us have made the move with no problem whatsoever. It's just a matter of doing it and accepting that there's an unavoidable learning curve associated with getting to grips with a new programme.

Keith Reeder

… and I think, it would be better too, if you, p_mac, could moderate your statements!

As I said: I use Photoshop and other CC apps, and they are great application. I use Affinity DP too, and they are great as well.

He wasn't talking to you, so your indignation is misplaced.

Keith Reeder

Yes Bobtographer, you do have the right to stay with PS, but what I don't understand is why you need to come onto this site and make a statement. 

Indeed. Tediously self-important, isn't it?

As far as adobe's desire to take over my computer, send messages back and forth about what is happening on my computer (get an app and watch all the phoning home they do) to justify their invasive desire to restrict the usage of their apps is Orwellian.

But hey if you don't care about being monitored, your choice.

I purchased a stand alone LR 6, bought it outright and sometime last year they decided that they should monitor that. That was it all adobe shit has been wiped from my computers.

So my suggestion is to just quietly leave.

As is this self-absorbed paranoia.

(I'm an information- and privacy-law professional in the UK - I understand this stuff - and this nonsense is seriously over the top).

Keith Reeder

Indeed who cares, if somebody is switching over into the one or other direction here. Everybody has finally to choose for themself, what they are personally and individual comfortable and most productive with, for what ever reasons!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

'I can't seem to get my head around why some things are done in the way you've chosen?'

Perhaps some of those hours spent reading the forums first would have clarified much if not all of Serif's reasoning.

Enjoy, P

Oh, I think some things are a bit bone headed. But hey, Serif didn't ask my opinion...and likely doesn't want it.

With over 10 years of knowledge of having used Adobe Photoshop (since CS3 was released), the switch was quite easy for me.

Granted, Affinity Photo might have some small missing features but as a good customer,

I decided to give bug reports and feature wishes so the Developers are able to help and optimize their products

and so far Serif delivers.

If by any chance, you want to see Affinity Photo get better for your needs;

do the same in writing bug reports and do detailed feature wishes. :)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

This is my first time visiting your forums. 

I came to the site after reading that Affinity is now available for Windows. I've watched a bunch of  Affinity videos on Vimeo and even though I'm a long time Adobe user I am impressed. I was sad to see the first post in Questions & Feedback was met with such anger and disrespect to the original poster. It has made me rethink posting any questions or making a purchase.

These type of discussions typically and sadly become polarised very quickly.

I was an irregular user of photoshop and will be an irregular user of photo, but i am finding some things a little less than intuitive. Doubling the width or height of a canvas for instance to merge two screen prints into a single  document which is something I do a lot of . Yes you can do it in photo  with  math but is there another way?    

Perhaps a section in the forum called "questions from users transitioning from other software" would be helpful.   I'm old enough to remember how Microsoft moved everyone from Lotus 123  and Wordperfect to Excel and Word  it wasn't by calling them wrong, it was by supporting their transition.     Of course its always helpful if both sides in a discussion  leave their ego at the door.  Answer the question not the emotion.

I use all what i can for make my work done. All tools(softwares) have pros and cons and compare Ps and AD(Affinity designer) for me is not possible.

For purchase PS you need to give a large amount of money and AD cost 50$ what is not something big. Ps is so good but AD is good to.AD Have great tools, not complicated to learn(all this kinde of tools work the same if you ask me) and you can do your jobe done.

I only hope that AD staff will continue to improve this tool every day and if they do AD can be the best tool for make our job done.

But it's just me :)

I was an irregular user of photoshop and will be an irregular user of photo, but i am finding some things a little less than intuitive. Doubling the width or height of a canvas for instance to merge two screen prints into a single  document which is something I do a lot of . Yes you can do it in photo  with  math but is there another way?

You can tell Affinity Photo to do the math for you! Just type *2 in the width or height control. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have the whole bunch of Adobe and now also of Affinity. I have experienced a steap learn curve in PS, AI, and again in AD and AP. But i like the idea behind. A fresh team with different strategy and clever boys. This is good for us, users. Tesla did move the market of the cars, Affinity does also in design. And that for this little amount of money. I like it. I like the support. I like the programms.  I hope the Affinity team works around the clock to give us better products, Apublisher...... ;) So if you don't want to change, that's on you. I like entrepeneurs. 

I came to the site after reading that Affinity is now available for Windows. I've watched a bunch of  Affinity videos on Vimeo and even though I'm a long time Adobe user I am impressed. I was sad to see the first post in Questions & Feedback was met with such anger and disrespect to the original poster. It has made me rethink posting any questions or making a purchase.

Hi JMM,

and welcome here …  :)

Hopefully, you will notice that the tone of the present discussion is not typical for the forum in general, and it has to be said that the original post was indeed offensive towards the developers and the community. It was also rather pointless, for it contained not the slightest information on the particular struggles the poster had faced, but only a wholesale dismissal of Affinity Photo as cumbersome and useless. What should you probably answer to such a type of criticism? Would that really count as useful feedback? Anyway, if you have a look at other threads, you will certainly see that the community is in general very helpful and constructive. Unfortunately, you just came across one of the rare, more vitriolic talks on your first visit …

Kind regards,

Alex  :)

• Staff

Hi All,

I would first like to welcome Groupy, CDXP and JMM to the forums and say that this is not typically how new users are received on the forum. I am sorry to see this thread has descended into people arguing amongst themselves. I am going to lock this thread to prevent any further bad comments I apologise to any new users that may have wanted help and posted in this thread and encourage you to make a new thread or private message me regarding your issue.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.