You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

where can I see the dimensions of the current selection

Hi all,

I cannot find the information of the dimension of my selection.

If I use the rectangle marquee tool around my design - I supposed to see the dimension of the current selection in the transformation panel, or in the navigator. But there is none.

Because now I have to "guess" and create my artboards by eye, move the content of my mockup into the artboard and adjust the artboard afterwards.  

Thanks, Stefan. 

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

AD does not show the dimensions of the selections of its marquee selection tools anywhere that I am aware of (except for the row & column ones, which are of no help here).

However, I am not sure how this would affect artboard sizing, unless you are trying to copy a pixel layer selection with a marquee selection tool & paste that into a new artboard sized for it.

Could you explain more about how you want to use the marquee selection tool for this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R,

I mockup several screens for an app. Now, that the mockups are "finished" and I have to output .PNGs for all the component (background, modals, buttons, ... which have strokes, outer shadows etc.) I'm used to take the marquee-tool to see what dimension I need to cover e.g. a modal with its outer shadow.

And with that information I could easily create a new artboard for it (and set the transformation values manually to the known values of the marquee-selection I did before). 

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Make your pixel selection, select the Move Tool, click the selection marquee, have a look at the Transform Panel …  :)

That's the workaround for it! Because it's obviously a UI-refresh-bug. Thanks! :)

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Make your pixel selection, select the Move Tool, click the selection marquee, have a look at the Transform Panel …  :)

That does not work for me -- the Move tool always selects the pixel layer under it (if there is one) instead of the marquee selection, no matter how carefully I try to click on the interior or border of the selection. What does is to click on the edge of the marquee selection with any Selection tool (to get the four way arrow move cursor) & move the marquee slightly.

That forces the update in the Transform panel, but using the Move tool does not do that for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I mockup several screens for an app. Now, that the mockups are "finished" and I have to output .PNGs for all the component (background, modals, buttons, ... which have strokes, outer shadows etc.) I'm used to take the marquee-tool to see what dimension I need to cover e.g. a modal with its outer shadow.

So why not do this in the Export Persona with slices?

Affinity Photo 

Because I don't need a slice where all graphic stuff is layered (background, windows, FX, buttons).

I need every element separate.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Because I don't need a slice where all graphic stuff is layered (background, windows, FX, buttons).

I need every element separate.

I mean using the Export Persona Layers tab & the "Create Slice" button. This should automatically crop each selected layer (or group, if an element is made up of more than one sublayer) to the minimum dimensions required to contain it. You can also rename, set path variables, etc. after creating the slices from the layers or groups & switching to the Slices tab to do the exports.

Affinity Photo 

I mean using the Export Persona Layers tab & the "Create Slice" button. This should automatically crop each selected layer (or group, if an element is made up of more than one sublayer) to the minimum dimensions required to contain it. You can also rename, set path variables, etc. after creating the slices from the layers or groups & switching to the Slices tab to do the exports.

Yes, I tried it as you mentioned it before. So I used the Export Persona, and the slice tool ... to create a slice around the button - but of course it is not automatically only the button in there. The slice contains everything of the mockup. That's why I decided to go on using artboards.

Maybe I tried around more with slices next project. This time it is not possible anymore - too much time went into the master files.  

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

I am not sure you understand what I suggested, which is not using the slice tool but instead using the Layers tab in the Export Persona to create slices (using the "Create Slice" button at the bottom of the panel) to create slices from the layers or groups in your document, then switching to the Slices tab to do the actual exporting.

This will not export everything in the mockup in the slices created this way, just whatever is in each layer or group individually.

Affinity Photo 

I am not sure you understand what I suggested, which is not using the slice tool but instead using the Layers tab in the Export Persona to create slices (using the "Create Slice" button at the bottom of the panel) to create slices from the layers or groups in your document, then switching to the Slices tab to do the actual exporting.

This will not export everything in the mockup in the slices created this way, just whatever is in each layer or group individually.

Now I see what you mean! :) 

I will try and play around with it - and use this next time!

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;