You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf/x-3 export in Designer results in way bigger files than AI?

Hi everyone,

i just have a question about pdf filesize. I am in the transition phase from AI to AD and noticed that the exported pdf/x-3 -files from AD are MUCH larger than the ones from AI.

For instance: i have a banner in ai - results in a 5 MB file. Now i redesigned the EXACT same banner from scratch in AD, export it as x-3 pdf and get an 50! MB file out of that.

The banner incorporates an pretty big .afphoto file (placed in AD). I placed this in AI too (but as .psd) - both are pretty much the same filesize.

The only way to get down the filesize of the pdf in AD is to lower the jpg-quality in the extended export options - but this results in the expected quality loss... (and is never getting near the filesize AI does)

Am i doing something wrong or is there an obvious reason for that behaviour that i am just missing?

Thanks for any enlightenment :-)

cpoh

Have you tried rasterizing the placed .afphoto file in the AD document before exporting it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes i tried this. But it is a placed pixel-picture anyway. Should make no difference?

However, the pdf-export does rasterize it too. It makes no difference if i do it manually oder it's done by export-persona -> still 10 times lager than pdf done by AI...

I had a very similar experience. My original layout is built in Indedign. I created from scratch the same layout in Affinity Designer. Since the latter does not link to external files but rather embeds them, the layout files tend to be huge. And so are pdfs: Designer takes a lot longer, many elements get rasterised, and the resulting files are up to 10x larger than Indesign pdfs.