cpoh

pdf/x-3 export in Designer results in way bigger files than AI?

Hi everyone,

i just have a question about pdf filesize. I am in the transition phase from AI to AD and noticed that the exported pdf/x-3 -files from AD are MUCH larger than the ones from AI.

For instance: i have a banner in ai - results in a 5 MB file. Now i redesigned the EXACT same banner from scratch in AD, export it as x-3 pdf and get an 50! MB file out of that.

The banner incorporates an pretty big .afphoto file (placed in AD). I placed this in AI too (but as .psd) - both are pretty much the same filesize.

The only way to get down the filesize of the pdf in AD is to lower the jpg-quality in the extended export options - but this results in the expected quality loss... (and is never getting near the filesize AI does)

Am i doing something wrong or is there an obvious reason for that behaviour that i am just missing?

Thanks for any enlightenment :-)

cpoh

Have you tried rasterizing the placed .afphoto file in the AD document before exporting it?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Yes i tried this. But it is a placed pixel-picture anyway. Should make no difference?

However, the pdf-export does rasterize it too. It makes no difference if i do it manually oder it's done by export-persona -> still 10 times lager than pdf done by AI...

If the embedded file is getting rasterised, its DPI will change to whatever the export sets it to . If it is, say, a 72 DPI image from AI and a 300 DPI image from Affinity, it would be expected to be bigger.

The embedded file is in both versions (.psd for AI and .affinity for AD) 300 dpi and essentially the same file size.

The pdf-export is set in both programs to 300 dpi for rasterized content.

I had a very similar experience. My original layout is built in Indedign. I created from scratch the same layout in Affinity Designer. Since the latter does not link to external files but rather embeds them, the layout files tend to be huge. And so are pdfs: Designer takes a lot longer, many elements get rasterised, and the resulting files are up to 10x larger than Indesign pdfs.