You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry for what I know is a completely-noobish question, but I can't seem to figure out how to clip a segment out of a stroked (and unfilled) oval shape. Seems back in the day with Illustrator I could easily use the scissors (or knife?) tool to trim out a segment of the shape, but I can't figure out how to do this in Designer. I want the oval stroke to end at the points indicated in my screenshot below.  The oval should end at the edge of the text on both sides and not continue behind the text. How is this done? Thanks so much in advance!

PPwOjuz.png

• Staff

Hi RedHotFuzz,

Select the Ellipse, go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke to convert the line into a shape. Draw a rectangle (only use fill colour, no stroke) and place it over the area of the text between the outside boundaries of the "T" covering the ellipse (see screenshot below), then select both the rectangle and the ellipse and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Intersect.

post-59-0-14120100-1493156242_thumb.jpg

If you simply want to place the oval "inside" the text letters (and not over the whole text area) just drag it over the text layer in the Layers panel (or alternatively select the oval go to menu copy then select the text and go to menu Edit ▸ Paste Inside). No need to execute all the steps outlines above.

Hi RedHotFuzz,

Select the Ellipse, go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke to convert the line into a shape. Draw a rectangle (only use fill colour, no stroke) and place it over the area of the text between the outside boundaries of the "T" covering the ellipse (see screenshot below), then select both the rectangle and the ellipse and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Intersect.

attachicon.gifellipse_and_text.jpg

If you simply want to place the oval "inside" the text letters (and not over the whole text area) just drag it over the text layer in the Layers panel (or alternatively select the oval go to menu copy then select the text and go to menu Edit ▸ Paste Inside). No need to execute all the steps outlines above.

Sorry, I guess my original instructions were a bit ambiguous. I want the entire oval to appear except for where the text is. So you'd see the full top and sides of the oval but the oval would end where the text is (so the opposite of your screenshot).

Also slightly complicating matters is the fact the ending letter in my actual text is an S, making it a bit tricker to trim out the additional oval stroke using an overlying rectangle.

So my end result should look like this:

C3sXHaP.png

• Staff

Since you want to end the text with an "S" follow the instructions below instead (this works no matter the letters used in the beginning and end):

- select the ellipse go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke

- duplicate the text object and place the duplicated text above the ellipse in the layers panel

- with the duplicated text still selected go to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Curves

- In the Layers panel, click the black arrow in the group layer to expand it

- shift-click the first letter and the last letter to select them all

- go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add

- select the ellipse and the duplicated text object (not the group layer but the text curves layer) and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract

- select the ellipse (curves) layer and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Divide

- delete the parts of the ellipse you don't want (you can easily select them in the layers panel).

--------------

A quicker and simpler way to do it if you don't need that precision (the ellipse following exactly the boundaries of the letters) is to simply draw a rough shape above the area of the ellipse you don't want - following roughly the boundaries of the first and last letters (see screenshot below), then selecting the ellipse and the newly created shape (make sure its above the ellipse in the Layers panel) and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract. Change to the Node Tool, click on each node (one at a time) where you want to break the ellipse and go to the context toolbar Action section and click the first icon (Break Curve). Repeat for the other node (see screenshot below).

Then move the ellipse layer to below the text in the Layers panel.

post-59-0-77563300-1493187052_thumb.png