You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - please add more lock/unlock options.

I searched and it seems there is no unlock all command yet in designer?

Ideally we'd have this, and maybe the ability to right click on a layer and say "unlock all" and "lock all".

I also miss the ability to click hold and mouse up and down on many items visibility/lock columns like I do in Illustrator and MODO (my main 3D app). That also speeds up locking/unlocking as well as hide/unhide greatly.

I don't know that there is any menu command to lock/unlock all, or hide, but if all layers are selected, or any number from the layers panel, lock/unlocking & hiding/showing is done w. 1 click. Took me about 1 second to lock & hide 420 layers just now.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

That's all fine but how do you do it when you have lots of groups? I've only been able to get it to work on items in the group or the main layer level. How do you select everything that's nested and locked too in one go?

And it's not one click if all the layers are selected- thats at least three- one to select the start of the list, one to select the end of the list, one to unlock yeah? ;-)

Or is there a command to select all layers, even locked an in groups?

Illustrator it's 1 keyboard shortcut and you're done.

BTW- I'm really happy using Affinity Designer over all, just noticing a few things I use day to day/want/need from Illustrator that would make good additions.

This has been a real problem for me also. If you have groups within layers and you need to unlock an item within a group it can take a lot of time to find the item that is locked.

There should also be away to click on a lock object and quickly find that object in the layers panel, right now if you lock an object it can not be selected again until you unlock it from the layers panel. The object should be selectable but still locked then a "Find in Layer" command could take you right to the lock object in the layers panel. 

I also miss the "move to layer command", this really helps when you're trying to organize a project.  

I'd love the ability to have an easy way to see/find a selected layer in the layer list like you're describing.

In the 3D app I use (MODO) you can hover over the list view of items, and press the f key to "focus" on selected items. I'm sure there are even better ways, but it would be great to have something similar or better in Affinity.

I searched and it seems there is no unlock all command yet in designer?

I would love this. I have a document with 50+ layers, each layer containing one rectangle that is locked. Now I would like to unlock them, but cannot figure out how....

You have to learn to also use your keyboards ...

• Locking all layers =  Select All + Lock --> Cmd+A  then Cmd+L
  • Unlocking all layers = Select All + Unlock --> Cmd+A then Shift+Cmd+L

... further Cmd+A (select all) and then toggling the lock button on the layers panel also locks/unlocks all layers!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You have to learn to also use your keyboards ...

• Locking all layers =  Select All + Lock --> Cmd+A  then Cmd+L
  • Unlocking all layers = Select All + Unlock --> Cmd+A then Shift+Cmd+L

... further Cmd+A (select all) and then toggling the lock button on the layers panel also locks/unlocks all layers!

At least for me on the Mac versions, the Select All keyboard shortcut works fine for layers that are unlocked but it will not select any layers that are locked, so it is basically a one way process: lock all works as you describe but once locked each/all layers have to be selected in the Layers panel to unlock them, with or without a keyboard shortcut to do the unlocking.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Unlock works only with a preserved selection like a toggle then, first select all and lock, keep that selection and unlock. - Once locked and the selection is lost, select all via keyb shortcut doesn't work anymore. Then you have to use the mouse inside the layers panel and Shift-select the whole stuff first. There inside the layers panel for locked layers only the unlock shortcut works, the select all keyb shortcut doesn't work there once locked. - Maybe they should introduce some aquivalent select too shortcut there too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 years later...

Yeah the unlock all doesn't really work. Plus one way to gain advantage over Illustrator would be to include a function that allows spot unlocking -- so for example right clicking an object then unlocking it. Illustrator doesn't have this and it's a big issue - in that application you have to unlock all or cumbersomely search for the object in the layers panel. Unlock all is a big pain when you're dealing with a bunch of object you then need to individually re-lock.

Edited by robdesigner

• 3 years later...

4 years later... still no unlock all ??

EDIT: OK NEVERMIND... there is a command now!

On Mac desktop version... Layer Menu / Unlock all  (You need to deselect all first)

Edited by HTim