You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is the Clip Canvas and Unclip Canvas tools so useless?

It's as if it could be such a time saver but all you end up doing is trying Clip Canvas, realising it doesn't do what you expect it to do, doing Unclip Canvas, realising it definitely isn't what you want it to do, then just doing things manually.

An example here... I've got a white background that's far bigger than the actual canvas.

I clip canvas. Affinity decides it should increase the size of the canvas. I know this because the canvas shape is now completely different.

So I edit, undo. I unclip canvas. Looks the same.

Is someone taking the p***?!

Me: I'll crop! 

AD: Nope. I'm still hiding shit.

Me: I'll marque and inverse!

AD: I'll delete the whole f**** layer,

AHGHHH!H!H!HH!H!!!!

affinity.gif

Yeh if you could a Clip tool that does what 90% of the community actually expects Clip to do, that would be great. How many people actually use it for said purpose?

• Staff

Hi geronimo,

The Clip Canvas  and Unclip Canvas commands perform different functions that the ones you are expecting.

Clip Canvas removes the unwanted (unused areas) of the canvas, so for example if there empty's space around you objects, Affinity will fit the canvas to encompass just the area used by the current objects. Unclip Canvas does the opposite: it enlarges the canvas to encompass all layer data including the parts that currently lay outside the canvas area or that were hidden by a crop.

In your example however the object is bigger than the canvas so when you use Clip to canvas it ends up enlarging the document as well to encompass/fit the whole layer.

Basically it's the size of the objects/layers that dictate how the canvas will be adapted and not the other way around.

The Clip Canvas  and Unclip Canvas commands perform different functions that the ones you are expecting.

Clip Canvas removes the unwanted (unused areas) of the canvas, so for example if there empty's space around you objects, Affinity will fit the canvas to encompass just the area used by the current objects. Unclip Canvas does the opposite: it enlarges the canvas to encompass all layer data including the parts that currently lay outside the canvas area or that were hidden by a crop.

Hey, I want that and have always wanted that for Designer. Why isn’t that function available there? I hope it’ll be included in 1.6?

I believe there are some cases (like this one) where the functionality is misinterpreted from the phrasing used.

Filters like Dust & Scratches or Chromatic Abberation that remove instead of adding as one would read it.

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

• 2 weeks later...

Right-click on that layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise..., to get rid of the area around the canvas.

In the second some thing. select them all, right-click on one of them (Layers panel) and select Rasterise.

Thank you that worked a treat. It doens't feel liek Rasterise would be the right name for it so hopefully in the future there willbe a true Trim to Canvas option.

Right-click on that layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise..., to get rid of the area around the canvas.

In the second some thing. select them all, right-click on one of them (Layers panel) and select Rasterise.

And that is realy something Rasterize should not do.

Thank you that worked a treat. It doens't feel liek Rasterise would be the right name for it so hopefully in the future there willbe a true Trim to Canvas option.

Exactly. We need whole layer be kept when rasterized (including areas out of canvas).

This should be definitely renamed to rasterize & Trim to canvas or something.

• 8 months later...

I want to upvote feature requests:

1) rasterize preserve out-of-canvas portions of the image

2) a rasterize-and-trim functionality still be available (maybe if holding down option?) to do what rasterize currently does

3) a trim to transparent/specific color

(1) and (3) are such a part of my workflow that I duplicate all images before rasterizing as a workaround for (1) [but it greatly enlarges my files] and I currently export a merged image, import into Pixelmator and use Trim Canvas, then take the trimmed dimensions back into Affinity to get effect (3). It's an absurd workaround but it's actually faster than trying to crop by hand sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.