You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all, this is probably a dumb question with an obvious answer, but I can't figure out how to dock floating panels in the studio on the right side. For example, the floating Character and Paragraph palettes. I don't want them to float, I want them locked into the studio like the Color, Transform and Layer palettes. No amount of drag or click trickery is working for me. How is this done?

Thanks!

It can be a bit tricky to drag a floating panel into the correct spot in the Studio to get it to dock there, but it should work if you drag the pointer over either a tab in a tabbed panel group to add it as a tab to that group, or to just below any open panel (tabbed or not) to add it as a separate un-tabbed panel.

This also works on either the left or right side Studio panel zone -- if there are no existing Studio panels on the left dragging the floating panel close to the left edge of the workspace should let you drop it there to create one.

The important thing to pay attention to is where the mouse pointer is during the drag, not the panel itself.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi RedHotFuzz

Try View > Studio > Reset Studio. 

I tried that first, no dice.

It can be a bit tricky to drag a floating panel into the correct spot in the Studio to get it to dock there, but it should work if you drag the pointer over either a tab in a tabbed panel group to add it as a tab to that group, or to just below any open panel (tabbed or not) to add it as a separate un-tabbed panel.

This also works on either the left or right side Studio panel zone -- if there are no existing Studio panels on the left dragging the floating panel close to the left edge of the workspace should let you drop it there to create one.

The important thing to pay attention to is where the mouse pointer is during the drag, not the panel itself.

No matter where I click, drag and drop I can't seem to get the panel to join the studio on the right side, but I did manage to add it to the studio on the left side. Not my ideal solution, but better than floating. Thanks.

I tried that first, no dice.

No matter where I click, drag and drop I can't seem to get the panel to join the studio on the right side, but I did manage to add it to the studio on the left side. Not my ideal solution, but better than floating. Thanks.

Scratch that. I was able to drop it into the studio on the right by dragging the panel above one of the existing panels (which resulted in the blue placement box). Trying to drag it to the open space below the existing panels did nothing (no blue placement box appeared). Weird.

Trying to drag it to the open space below the existing panels did nothing (no blue placement box appeared). Weird.

It won't work in most of the open space below the existing panels, only in a thin strip just below the bottom of the last one. And again, it is where the pointer is that matters, not where the dragged panel is that determines the 'drop zone.'

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It won't work in most of the open space below the existing panels, only in a thin strip just below the bottom of the last one. And again, it is where the pointer is that matters, not where the dragged panel is that determines the 'drop zone.'

Thanks. Seems this should be something worth fixing/improving on Affinity's end since it's so unintuitive. Let me easily drop a panel anywhere within the existing empty space in the studio.

After using the apps for a while, I can understand why they did not design it so a free floating panel could be docked by dropping it on any open space in the Studio: not infrequently, I want to move a floating panel out of the way of something in the workspace temporarily & often the most convenient place for that is partially overlapping some empty area in the Studio. It would be annoying if it docked when I did that instead of just moving to the temporary location. The thin 'drop zone' strip eliminates this.

Overall, the best why I have found to dock a floating panel when I want to do that is to move the dragged pointer to the approximate lateral center of the Studio & slowly move it up or down until either the blue highlight appears or the tabs in a tabbed Studio group move out of the way of the pointer.

Also note that double-clicking on a panel's title will collapse it in place to just its title bar. This can make it easier to see where one tab or tab group ends & the next one begins in the Studio.

Affinity Photo 

After using the apps for a while, I can understand why they did not design it so a free floating panel could be docked by dropping it on any open space in the Studio: not infrequently, I want to move a floating panel out of the way of something in the workspace temporarily & often the most convenient place for that is partially overlapping some empty area in the Studio. It would be annoying if it docked when I did that instead of just moving to the temporary location. The thin 'drop zone' strip eliminates this.

Good point. I've been a Mac guy since day one, but I have typically preferred Windows' approach of non-floating tool windows (though I hate everything else about Windows). Moving floating windows around on Mac has been a royal pain and I've always wished I could just lock them in place in apps that didn't allow it.

• 2 years later...

I would love it if you could dock panels side-by-side on the right side of the app window. Currently, you can have one column of docked panels, but I really prefer two or even 3 columns as I have set up in Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator (see screenshot below). Splitting them up on the left and right of the app window is just cumbersome to me.

ps-screenshot.thumb.png.4800977a2f287f166a161fa90207e4f2.png

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2017 at 12:07 AM, RedHotFuzz said:

Hi all, this is probably a dumb question with an obvious answer, but I can't figure out how to dock floating panels in the studio on the right side. For example, the floating Character and Paragraph palettes. I don't want them to float, I want them locked into the studio like the Color, Transform and Layer palettes. No amount of drag or click trickery is working for me. How is this done?

I simply give up. And resetting settings is no good advice when you lose your settings for perhaps nothing. It is more like panic.

dock.gif.72604019be9ef5802e131303ee869dad.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

BUG! 🛑

But I did it - the magic spot was around here:

image.png.b4263188adc0e3f568c235924a3a171b.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Bug indeed. Almost impossible to dock studio when other studios are collapsed.

Work around: to expand the lowest studio, fx:

dockie.gif.def3569de3702cf3b96c5948d5283e3b.gif