You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo to Painting

Is there an affinity photo tutorial for creating a painting from a photo or making a photo into a painting. I found tutorials for Photo Shop on YouTube and recognise the similarity with some of the stages/settings but as I have never used PhotoShop I would rather have an Affinity Photo version. 

Thanks in advance.

As someone who paints actual paintings I have to say that there is no software in existence that can make a photograph into a painting. There are a number of programs that can, to a greater or lesser degree, make a photograph look like a painting. Paintings require someone with a brush, digital or traditional, to actually paint them...I know what you meant with your question CircularWebs so please forgive the rant. Just a pet peave of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who paints actual paintings I have to say that there is no software in existence that can make a photograph into a painting. There are a number of programs that can, to a greater or lesser degree, make a photograph look like a painting. Paintings require someone with a brush, digital or traditional, to actually paint them...I know what you meant with your question CircularWebs so please forgive the rant. Just a pet peave of mine.

I regularly manipulate photos. When I do, I usually put it as 'made into a "painting" '

Not even with a digital painting doesn't work. Like look at Bob Ross does with a basic tools!

There just ain't a tools on digital side to really do all the physical things like the knife and roll of paint. 

It wanted to paint something digitally, better just to put the image on the background layer and then just add new layer and start painting on it, instead trying to use the photo and fake it. 

Check out  the SIGGRAPH 2017 teaser at www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvIHREdVX4. There is a brief segment showing a fairly remarkable transformation of a vid stream to either a pencil drawing or a painting.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Check out  the SIGGRAPH 2017 teaser at www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvIHREdVX4. There is a brief segment showing a fairly remarkable transformation of a vid stream to either a pencil drawing or a painting.

Remarkable is right! Actually, the entire video is remarkable. Thanks for posting that link.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Paristo.

You obviously have never used Corel Painter 2017.

I have. Truly remarkable.

Enjoy!

I tested the previous one but still not anything like the physical painting is. Two different inputs result two different outputs. Even when using a digitalizer you can't do anything like you can do with the actual brush and other tools. you don't have the feedback, touch, sound and visuals to do the things like with the real paint and tools allows. 

Yes the Core Painter is great, just like Krita is great. But both are just digital.

There is a sensing device that is so sensitive that it can detect a individual brush hairs, and that will dramatically increase the capabilities of digital use. But that is still a peripheral device, without paint and feedbacks etc.

In future lots of things will come and be possible, just like the video above, but we are still far far far from the physical world capabilities (and way past the limitations too). 

• 4 months later...

I bought a cheapo version of Topaz labs years ago at a photography show in the NEC in the UK. All on a  CD with a code. Still brilliant and I use Topaz Simplify to create great 'painting' versions. Sneaky tip: If you've got a great photo that is out of focus, Simplify will find edges and fill in a 'cartoon' version that works really well. I've such a picture on the wall, printed as a 'canvas' and which loads of visitors have thought was a real painting.

Bottom line: Affinity's ability to use Photoshop Plugins extends its capability still further. I have played with all kinds of photo editing software, from PS to LR to ON1 and more, and I spend by far the most time in Affinity. Just love it for its massive capability.

Example of photo and Topaz Simplify variant attached.

Church Interior 3_1400.jpg

Church Interior 3_topaz_simplify_1400.jpg

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Nice effect. I'm a fan of both church windows and Topaz Simplify. I must try the combination.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I did try applying Topaz Simplify to an image of the West Window of Gloucester Cathedral. This image was an HDR from three images. I used the Cartoon by D. Pacheco option in Simplify.

One interesting (and perhaps expected) effect is that the cartoon version is much smaller for the same degree of jpeg compression.

WestWindowCrop930.jpg

WestWindowCart930.jpg

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 year later...

Actually, unless one is painting for themselves or painting a commission,  in using comparisons between photo software for painterly effects, vs a painting done by hand with an artist, the differentiation are sometime obvious, and sometimes not as obvious. But in the end neither talent really matters to the buyer, since they are buying what pleases their eye. Mind you I am not suggesting this example of mine will please your eye, but it has pleased other's which has resulted in sales for me. 

Crow-at-Take-off.jpg

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

5 hours ago, RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica said:

Actually, unless one is painting for themselves or painting a commission,  in using comparisons between photo software for painterly effects, vs a painting done by hand with an artist, the differentiation are sometime obvious, and sometimes not as obvious.

Yes, I find that this depends on the photo itself. Some of my photos work absolutely stunning with FXCartoonizer and some results are garbage.

Actually I just submitted my favourite profile picture to that thecartoonist.me guy (25$) to see if he can so some magic with it.

I'm very curious because sadly the mentioned photo has low contrast and Affinity Photos edge detection fails on that aside with every photo filter software I tried.

For the future I guess it will depend on the photo if I can use a cartoon photo filter, trace it by hand myself or give it to a professional.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

Nice stuff but in this rose video what is this exact live filter used?

The rose video doesn’t use a filter, it uses the Paint Mixer Brush.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)