David

Help please - File wont open after crash

Hello all, I' m working on final edit for a print file today, Its over 250mb with 6 or so artboards and it crashed whilst changing some text, tried opening the crash file that failed now I cant open it at all?? any help would be amazing, this is due to go to print tomorrow.

post-865-0-62102000-1493047397_thumb.png

Thanks, just uploaded now. I work from a usb3 raid drive yes, could that be it?

It got a speckled texture on each page which i left off until ready for export. If i can get it fixed Im going to remove this and add it as a background image instead to reduce the file footprint....i just like having as much vector as possible.

Hi David,

Yes, the external drive may be the cause. Affinity Designer doesn't work just with the original file. It also stores other bits of data elsewhere on a temp folder in the system while you work on it (for performance reasons). Only in certain circumstances it writes the data back to the original file (unless you save it manually). If for some reason the external drive becomes inaccessible it looses access to the original file and may lead to the issues you are experiencing. The same is valid for synchronised cloud folders and NAS volumes for similar reasons.

I'm passing your file to the dev team to be checked (issue logged).

The file was heavily truncated - expected 395,341,320 bytes, when it is 252,710,912.  Looks like it crashed mid copy during streamlining, so there are no partial revisions that I can rescue.

Your temporary folder will also have been recreated when you restarted Affinity.

Not sure what else to do....

I am going to look into what I can do to ensure this doesn't happen again, or at least there is some way to rescue the file.  Problem we have is that crashes are unpredictable, and uncontrollable... and crashes during writing of files invariably result in issues when external storage is in play.  The intermediate buffering when writing to USB storage is outside of our control.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ok thanks, I know I was pushing it with a very complicated texture overlay sat on about 8 spreads, my mac could well have run out of ram whilst moving or editing a layer.  I will just rebuild, I have a PDF export to work from.

May just create this with a transparent background then import to indesign as an eps for the texturing, as the link files aren't then held on/in page, this would keep my AD file small and the Indd file small too.

Thanks Anyway

Ok - this kept me up last night.  There's a few things that are puzzling me.

Can you give me a bit more info on the last steps before the crash?  Had you done a save shortly before the crash?  If a save was being done, you should have a progress bar, and you should not be able to carry on working until the progress bar goes away.  At this stage, to our best knowledge, the system has finished writing the file.  I'm assuming there was no save in progress and you'd been able to carry on working, making changes?

Your file had been streamlined at the last save.  Streamlining creates a defragged copy of your file in a temporary folder, then when that is done copies the temp file back over your original file, streaming through an internal 1MB buffer.  We use this strategy to ensure that your actual file is only written to when everything else has been done correctly.  Problem is, once that final copy is started you are affecting your main file.  A lot of our strategy is governed by sandboxing on OSX.

As I've stated before, USB storage makes things more difficult due to the way it buffers.  Low level system calls to flush are supposed to ensure that data is written to physical storage, but from things I've read that is not 100% guaranteed.  USB devices could still intermediate buffer and write down later, after the call to flush reports that should have been done.

I am really concerned about this problem - I've spent a lot of time looking into how this can happen, and I've added a lot of checks and balances when I've found potential weak points.

I want to try replicate your setup, so that I can do testing.  Can you tell me what hardware you are using?  We'll look to get the same storage device if we can find one.  Also, if you have a previous version of your file that I can use in testing, that would help also.

There is also the question of what caused the actual crash. That will need to be looked into also.

Again, I can only apologise for what's happened.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Interesting, I went in to do some last text amends before export, and moved an outlined price label. From here I hit the beachball spin in and sat for 5-10 mins, so I forced quite the program. I opened the crash file and it then crashed whilst doing the change again, I believe I tried saving before I made the edit at this point. Every open after that refused to open with the above message.

Mac specs in screen shot, My external drive is a raid connects Via USB3 is set up as a raid drive with two WD Red HDs.

post-865-0-70607100-1493198409_thumb.png

We've got a couple of people who are good at breaking things too.

You do have a limited amount of RAM and vRAM, so things are likely to crunch.  We should be able to manage when RAM gets used up - the system should also page stuff out, and we also manage our data internally to disk at times.  The problem will be when you exhaust vRAM.  We've seen when the system starts flashing apps in red, then the wheels pretty much fall off.  One guy here managed to get a system panic twice - we are sure due to running out of vRAM. That's when his saved files started to contain data written by other apps!  Crazy stuff.  I'm getting pretty good at forensically analysing broken files, so seeing an iTunes play list in the middle of our data was more than surprising.

Could you tell me exactly what external drive you have - make and model.  Thanks.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Thanks.

Just one more question - do you know whether your drive is HFS, FAT/FAT32, UDF or other?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB