momochan86

[Fixed] inches =/= pixels (incorrectly converting?)

The inches don't seem to convert correctly. When I set up a document to be 21" x 18" and click pixels, it goes to 6300px x 5400px

It should be 3150px x 2700px 

I tried another way where I set up a document as 21x18", make my design, and export. It exports much larger than 3150x2700px*.

It only correctly saves at the correct pixels if I type in the specific pixels, as opposed to the equivalent inches.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

*PS: I thought it might have something to do with the DPI, but when switching from 300dpi to 150dpi** (which is what I need for Spoonflower fabric printing) and toggle back and forth between pixel and inches.... it still shows as 6300x5400px

Yes, I know I could just type in the pixels but I was wondering why this was happening. And being able to accurately type in inches would be super easy (not having to figure out the correct conversion)

**I think the 6300x5400px is CORRECT at 300dpi... but not at 150dpi. Why does the pixel not change is essentially what I'm asking?

Also, 150dpi was not one of the presets on the dropdown menu, I had to type it out. Maybe that's the problem? Does it really matter?

Seems to work for me in the Mac version of Designer (and I wouldn’t know why it should be different in Windows). If I create a new 1×1" document at 72 DPI and convert it to pixels, the document is 72×72px. At 150 DPI it’s 150×150px, etc. And if I create a 21×18" document it correctly converts to 3150×2700px

Hi Momochan86.

I presume you are using Designer? I can reproduce this - it looks like it is ignoring whatever the changed DPI was and not converting from inches to pixels and choosing to use the pre-changed DPI. If you OK and then go back into the New Document dialog so that the DPI initially reads 150 then the pixel readout you get will be correct. I shall get this reported to development.

Harry,

I believe this is a slightly different issue. Momochan86 is referring to the New Document dialog. For example when using inches changing the DPI and then changing units to pixels doesn't give the correct values. It uses the DPI that was changed, instead of the one you had set it too.