You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HDR Merge User Interface

I would like to suggest that the user interface to HDR processing is all wrong.

The AF program generously comes with a large bunch of presets.  Thank you very much for those.

However, one needs to go back and forth between the tone map and develop personnas to apply more than one to the same HDR merged image.  On my machine (MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, OSX 10.5.5), it takes a considerable amount of time to switch back to tone map after being in develop; the time to do it for several presets is ridiculous.  More importantly, I find that the HDR merged image changes characteristics quite considerably when going back and forth between tone map and develop. This is inexcusable.  If I apply, say, "Summer Glow," change to develop to save it, then change back to tone map, the image looks bizarre.  So basically, I have to repeat the entire merge to get consistent results, which, for RAW images, takes a very long time.

The much better approach would be the way the NIK software does it.  Here, one can merge and then successively apply any arbitrary number of preset tone mappings very quickly and without affecting the base merged image.  One can apply a preset, save the result, then apply a different one and save.  This will allow easily viewing several HDR results side by side.  In AF, this is not possible.  I should be able to save to the hard drive in the tone map personna, not just "apply."