Hello,

This is very basic as I have just started using Affinity Designer.

When I import an EPS file downloaded fro Depositphotos.com, I can't select the objects seperatly.

They are all grouped, can't ungroup or select indivudual elements.

What am I missing here?

Thansk

Hi pixelmac,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's probably because those objects are using some kind of transparency (which is not supported in EPS) and thus were rasterised on exported. Check if you have several layers identified as pixel layers after the layer's name in the Layers panel (between parenthesis).

Illustrator can open them as editable objects because it embeds an ai file inside the EPS which is the data it uses to open the file. Since this data is private/proprietary we are not able to access it. You can read more about this here. If you open the file in other softwares other than Illustrator you will get the same result.

Hi Jinonatka,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Both the .ai and .eps files included in the link you provided are opening correctly for me (as vectors). What Affinity application/version are you using?
Note that vector files opened in Affinity Photo will be rasterised for display so they will look pixelated when you zoom in. This is the expected behaviour. Affinity Designer renders them display/renders as you'd expect from a vector application - clean lines/no rasterisation when displayed on screen.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Both the .ai and .eps files included in the link you provided are opening correctly for me (as vectors).

For me as well. The only difference is the .ai file (which reads the PDF stream in the ai file) imports "SILHOUETTE CAR COLLECTION" as editable text while the .eps version imports it as individual vector curves. The 'designed by freepik.com' stuff is imported as individual vector curves in either version, the same as with any other Freepik file I have downloaded in any vector format.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1