You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd problem with Affinity Photo Nik plugin

If I open a JPG image (portrait mode) in Affinity Photo & then select Filters - Plugins - Nik Collection - Color Efex Pro 4 the image appears in landscape mode!

I have tried rotating the image prior to applying the filter but it makes no difference.

It works fine in Photoshop CC 2017 but not in Affinity.

Any suggestions?

Well I think the AP plugin interface is actually in it's current state not very reliable and thus has still a bunch of problems, bugs. - Did you tried out what happens if you work on a duplicated image layer instead and/or perform the image rotation afterwards (after applying the filter)?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The problem still exists on a duplicated layer, Rotating the image after applying the filter is of no use when applying something like a graduated filter.

I've tried the filter with a number of other portrait images - still the same.

I've also tried using the other filters in the Nik collection & all exhibit the same problem.

After experimenting I find that if I rotate the portrait image to landscape & then Export it, now reopen the image & rotate it back to to portrait then flatten the image, it now works in any of the Nik filters

Personally I don't use AP just AD thus I can't try out those things. But I use the NIK filters in PS and PSE instead. - Seems to be some image orientation problem here in the overall communication between the NIK tools and the AP plugin interface and how things are hooked in. I believe the AP dev team knows about those shortcommings as you can see in the many other related forum threads related to that theme. - Let's hope they will get sorted it out in the near future.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• 4 weeks later...

I have loaded Nik Collection onto AP but when I access one of the NIK presets, I get a message that I must buy Nik as my trial has expired.

Any guidance as to how to get Nik to run on AP?

Many thanks

I am using a 2012 MacBookPro with OS X 10.8.5

I cannot update my OS as I am then forced to use Adobe Cloud LR and PS, which I do not want to do. I am trying to move away from LR6 and CS6 and am working more and more on AP.

My one challenge with AP 1.5.2 is that my Fujifilm and Canon RAW files load very slowly in AP.

Any suggestions will assist me greatly.

After typing this post I realised it is in the wrong forum, sorry.

Dear MEB

I refer to your response below.

I tried to use the Nix plugins this afternoon but they are greyed out under Filters, Plugins, NIX collection.  I see the plugins but cannot access them.  I checked the Preference settings as per your response hereunder and Authorise Global is greyed out, so I assume that setting is correct.

Any further guidance as to how I can get the NIX plugins to work please?

Many thanks.

P/S the plugins did work after I adjusted the settings as per your post hereunder, but strangely they are not working now.

Hi Gerican,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to menu Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section then click the Authorise Global button on the bottom right then Authorise again from the dialog that will open.

Let me know if it solved the issue.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @zoli642,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do the following: remove all the paths you may have set in the Plugin Support Files section, then press the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again from the Finder dialog that will open. You should see only a forward slash in the Plugin Support Files section. Also make sure that Allow "Unknow" plugins to be used is ticked on the bottom left of the Photoshop Plugins preferences in Affinity Photo. Let me know if you still have trouble.

Hi, MEB,

I did what you suggested, but the problem is persist. Got the trial sign. On my MacBook Pro just working fine (I have the same set up on the MacPro).  

I know it is free, but a software is using the 15 days demo time. Standalone and Aperture versions are working fine. Only the Affinity plug-in asking to buy or use the demo time. 

• 8 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 2:49 PM, Gerican said:

Hi Zoli642

I managed to get mine working.  I do not understand why you have to pay for the Nik software as I am under the impression it is free.

Not anymore.  DxO starting charging for Nik Collection effective July 1, 2018.  The price is currently $69.00 (U.S. Dollars).  However, there is a free 30-day trial option before you buy.

31 minutes ago, Omar Upegui R. said:

Not anymore.  DxO starting charging for Nik Collection effective July 1, 2018.  The price is currently $69.00 (U.S. Dollars).  However, there is a free 30-day trial option before you buy.

Depends on the version you're using, see here on their site a link to the still available free download version. - See also NIK Collection 2012.

47 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Depends on the version you're using, see here on their site a link to the still available free download version. - See also NIK Collection 2012.

I'm using the free 30-day trial version.  However, I 'm having problems with RGB Color Space.  Apparently, Color Collection and Affinity Photo have a compatibility problem with this issue.  I have been looking at several YouTube videos to see if I can solve the bug.  So far I have not been successful.  If the problem continues, I have no choice but to buy the paid version which is $69.00. 

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Did you also tried the older Google NIK Collection version (2012, see the Email demand), does it behave the same?

I plan to buy the 2018 version of Nik Collection since DxO claims it will be updated regularly thus I will be up to speed with all improvements made.  The 2012 version is outdated, and I will not be comfortable using it.  I have a gut feeling that in the near future Affinity Photo will take care of this bug if it receives enough messages from us users advising them of the problem.  A few minutes ago, I tried a new trick to enhance the washed up colors of the uploaded photograph.  The problems seem to be the levels of magnification.  If you increase the magnification level (+ sign) to 33% the photograph will look exactly like the one you uploaded from your hard disk.  Then you can go ahead and make your adjustments as usual.  I can live with that until the bug is crushed. Thank you for your assistance.

• 2 years later...
On 4/22/2017 at 8:05 PM, D23 said:

There are other ways around it I've found - add an adjustment layer & then Merge Visible prior to applying the filter seems to work - peculiar!

I encountered this same problem in December 2020 working with Silver Efex Pro 2 , after the plugin had been working just fine.  Followed the outlined solution above and presto chango...issue fixed, all golden.  If this is the least of the problems I have, then the workaround is a small price to pay during the editing process.

Hey, Serif, what's up with this situation?  Shouldn't have to play games with third party plugins, especially when DxO claims to have worked in conjunction with Serif to make their plugins compatible with AP 1.8.4

Edited by csruble

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2017 at 6:01 AM, MEB said:

re: Silver Efex not displaying portrait mode 

This is is due to an issue with the metadata which is not passed to the plugin. We already have this logged. Meanwhile if you right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise... it should send the image in the correct orientation to the plugin.

I rasterized the layer, resent it to Silver FX...Voila! It worked! Thanks so much 👍

• 9 months later...

I am having this same issue with color efex pro 5 and the vertical images are loading sideways even after rasterizing them. any suggestions?

Tzvi 9_9

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black