You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Team,

I am having problems using windows affinity designer and windows affinity designer.

They don't open when it's used on Windows and then attempted to open on Mac..

Is there a work around for this?

I can RDP into my windows machine, but then I get issues with "Windows Aero" - Agh! Headaches!!!

HELP!!

Thank you.

Lee

post-27435-0-31999100-1492802745_thumb.png

post-27435-0-11430400-1492802759_thumb.png

**********************************************************************************
Partner at www.printfx.co.uk - Low cost printing at great prices!

**********************************************************************************

• Staff

Hi leethomas,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Seems the file you are trying to open on your mac was created in a more recent version that the one you have installed. Open the Mac App Store app, go to the Updates tab (on top) and click the Update button to update Affinity Designer to the latest version (1.5.5). You should then be able to open that file without issues.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for this. Well, that was what I thought - But there are no updates on my mac for Affinity! :o eeek!

Any other suggestions?

Hi leethomas,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Seems the file you are trying to open on your mac was created in a more recent version that the one you have installed. Open the Mac App Store app, go to the Updates tab (on top) and click the Update button to update Affinity Designer to the latest version (1.5.5). You should then be able to open that file without issues.

Hi MEB,

Thanks for this. Well, that was what I thought - But there are no updates on my mac for Affinity! :o eeek!

Any other suggestions?

Were you logged in to the Mac App Store when you checked for updates? The second screenshot attached to your OP shows that you're on version 1.4.3 of AD, but the Windows versions of the Affinity apps are 1.5.x (which is why 1.4.x can't open the files).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm afraid the mac shows no updates available.

Yes, I'm logged into the MAC Store...

See screenshot.

post-27435-0-80194200-1492887121_thumb.png

I'm afraid the mac shows no updates available.

Yes, I'm logged into the MAC Store...

See screenshot.

I forgot to say: I presume you're logged in with the same Apple ID that you used to purchase the app. What do you see if you go to the Purchased tab?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,

No - Only use the same apple ID.

On purchases it says "install" - Let me try that...

I forgot to say: I presume you're logged in with the same Apple ID that you used to purchase the app. What do you see if you go to the Purchased tab?

Great news. It's now working.. Darn Mac not showing in the main update window! I'll keep an eye on that. Yay!

Thanks everyone!

Darn Mac not showing in the main update window! I'll keep an eye on that. Yay!

Is it possible your Affinity Designer 1.4.3 version was somehow moved from its default install location (in the root level Applications folder on the startup disk) to someplace else? I am not sure but I think that is the only place the Mac App Store app checks for apps to update -- even just moving one to a subfolder of the Applications folder might confuse it.

If it really did get moved, you probably now have two versions of AD on your system, the old one in some other folder & the current one in Applications. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7