Xpopy

Affinity Designer Trial Unhandled Exception, crashing on startup

Hello, I downloaded and installed the Affinity Designer Trial to test the program before I would buy it, however whenever I start it it instantly crashes with "Unhandled Exception, Code 0xC0000005"

Image of said error: http://i.imgur.com/Y8j68y0.png

Specs:

• Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.138)
  • GPU: 980ti with latest drivers
  • CPU: i5-4670k
  • 8GB RAM

Hi Xpopy,

Thanks for letting us know. We've had a few reports of users running the Creators Update with nVidia hardware who are having very similar problems so we are currently investigating this.

Pauls

I've done that when I tried to bring back Affinity to working order. I worked on non-latest ones before installing cretor update and everything was fine. Maybe I should rollback Windows update

UPDATE : I found a culprit - Rivatuner statistics server. When it is up it crashes Affinity with said exception (Unhandled Exception, Code 0xC0000005). It  should be easy to reproduce in test environment.

Hi Xpopy,

Thanks for letting us know. We've had a few reports of users running the Creators Update with nVidia hardware who are having very similar problems so we are currently investigating this.

I found a fix for the crashing. Copying C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll to the install folder made the program run again.

Note: this made other programs run as well, such as photoshop, sony vegas and others. Think Windows might be at fault here?

Link to where I found the fix: https://austinfrance.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/game-crash-at-startup-d3d9-dll-faulting-module-windows-8-1-kb3000850-installed/

I found a fix for the crashing. Copying C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll to the install folder made the program run again.

Note: this made other programs run as well, such as photoshop, sony vegas and others. Think Windows might be at fault here?

Link to where I found the fix: https://austinfrance.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/game-crash-at-startup-d3d9-dll-faulting-module-windows-8-1-kb3000850-installed/

It definitely works in my case. Had constant crashes every five to ten minutes on windows 10.  After this trick still working 30 minutes and trying to let it crash with crazy nodes, copies and shapes.

Tnx

UPDATE: next day.. same exception error again after 10 minutes. I'm running windows10 creators update.

No crashes here. Windows 10 x64 15063.447, NVidia driver 384.76 WHQL (see also signature).

Keep Windows clean, try to reinstall Affinity tools, DO NOT use CCleaner and other registry cleaners frequently deleting useful keys.