You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canvas Tiling and Rotation

Hi,

AP already has some great tools for making seamless textures (Affine Destort, Frequency Separation, Inpainting, etc..)

There's a great official tutorial video on it.

The end result is something like this:

post-57168-0-95177600-1492606346_thumb.png

Although this is a properly seamless texture, it has some low frequency features that means the tiling/repeating will show up.

One thing that would really help would be to having a tiling display mode so that we could preview the tiling effect, like this:

post-57168-0-80625100-1492606551_thumb.png

(note: I boosted the contrast here so its easier too see)

As an added bonus, it would be super cool if we could paint in this mode and have the painting automatically tile/repeat.

On a related note, being able to rotate the canvas view would also be very handy, but I think this has already been requested.

Thanks,

Passive

I second those, they sound useful.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Yes, as a person who designs repeat patterns, I would love this.

DrawPlus had a super simple tiling tool that I used ALL the time. I don't see that tool in either personas (though the icon looks kind of like the PIXEL tool)

I create a repeatable tile and click this tiling icon and just drag the top and bottom (or just the corner) out and it automatically repeats the tile.

I would love to see that feature in Affinity. Not sure if that would be under the vector or pixel persona.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi PassiveAggressor, momochan86, chawkes,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use your MacBook trackpad or Apple Magic Trackpad  to rotate the canvas view. Make sure you have Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad ticked in Affinity Photo Preferences, Tools section.

You can also use the menu commands for this but here you are constrained to 15º increments (menu View ▸ Rotate Left/Right and Reset).

The only way to test the patterns in Photo is actually applying it to a shape, exporting your pattern to a file first, drawing a rectangle shape, then selecting the Gradient Tool setting the Type in the context toolbar to Bitmap and selecting the exported pattern file. Make sure Maintain fill aspect ratio is depressed (the lock icon in the context toolbar) and that the Extend dropdown is set to Wrap.

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, NonoGG said:

Would love this feature.

This thread is from six years ago, for the V1 applications.

There’s a chance that the functionality you want, or something like it, has already been implemented since then.

If you can explain what you want to do then someone can probably advise further.

P.S. You will need to tell us which Affinity application(s) you have and which version you are using.

• 2 months later...

Oh, I must have missed the PS. I use Affinity v2 (currently 2.3.1) for Windows (Publisher / Designer & Photo). I myself am a software developer for industrial 3D applications. I use Affinity Publisher mainly for documentation. From time to time I use Affinity for editing and creating textures. This feature would be very good for that. I have already defined this feature request myself in the forum. See:

You can create something similar in Affinity Photo with the "Affine Transformation" filter. So make a texture seamless. However, it would also be good to see directly how seamless it actually is, or whether the pattern is too recognizable and thus breaks the immersion.

Thanks for the extra information.

Your other request was for V1 and since this thread is also for V1, and V1 is no longer being developed for users requests, and this thread has become mixed up with canvas rotation requests, I would suggest ignoring this thread, and your other request, and adding a new request thread for V2 where it will be seen more easily by both users and staff. (You can give a link to the other two threads if you want to, just so people have a 'check-back'.)

You can probably copy and paste the text and images from your other thread to save some time.

(Continuing to ‘bump’ this thread, which is almost seven years old, will probably be a waste of your time.)