PassiveAggressor

Canvas Tiling and Rotation

Hi,

AP already has some great tools for making seamless textures (Affine Destort, Frequency Separation, Inpainting, etc..)

There's a great official tutorial video on it.

The end result is something like this:

post-57168-0-95177600-1492606346_thumb.png

Although this is a properly seamless texture, it has some low frequency features that means the tiling/repeating will show up.

One thing that would really help would be to having a tiling display mode so that we could preview the tiling effect, like this:

post-57168-0-80625100-1492606551_thumb.png

(note: I boosted the contrast here so its easier too see)

As an added bonus, it would be super cool if we could paint in this mode and have the painting automatically tile/repeat.

On a related note, being able to rotate the canvas view would also be very handy, but I think this has already been requested.

Thanks,

Passive

I second those, they sound useful.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Yes, as a person who designs repeat patterns, I would love this.

DrawPlus had a super simple tiling tool that I used ALL the time. I don't see that tool in either personas (though the icon looks kind of like the PIXEL tool)

I create a repeatable tile and click this tiling icon and just drag the top and bottom (or just the corner) out and it automatically repeats the tile.

I would love to see that feature in Affinity. Not sure if that would be under the vector or pixel persona.

Hi PassiveAggressor, momochan86, chawkes,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use your MacBook trackpad or Apple Magic Trackpad  to rotate the canvas view. Make sure you have Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad ticked in Affinity Photo Preferences, Tools section.

You can also use the menu commands for this but here you are constrained to 15º increments (menu View ▸ Rotate Left/Right and Reset).

The only way to test the patterns in Photo is actually applying it to a shape, exporting your pattern to a file first, drawing a rectangle shape, then selecting the Gradient Tool setting the Type in the context toolbar to Bitmap and selecting the exported pattern file. Make sure Maintain fill aspect ratio is depressed (the lock icon in the context toolbar) and that the Extend dropdown is set to Wrap.