You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save As... to save in the same folder as the current file

Not sure it's a feature, more of an improvement, but it has cause some troubles to me.

In all applications that I'm aware of, the Save As function will save in the folder where the file is currently located in. 

A.D. does not, it saves in the last folder that was used, always. Even if I close a file and open a totally different one, SaveAs will default to the last saved folder.  I have files spread all over the disk because of that :(

It's annoying especially because the standard behaviour is so universally ingrained I find it hard to remember to change the save location every time. 

Keep up the good work

• 1 month later...

I know that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. Sometimes, I sympathise with the requests here, but I often will wish to edit a series of images in one location, but export all the edited versions to a distinct destination folder, typically in a Web site folder. With software that saves in the source folder, I save files with a modified name and move these recent files to the destination folder using Windows Explorer.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

that's a very valid point John! Now that you mention it, I also do what you describe occasionally with other software but it never

I can't test PS now, but how does it treat the Export... menu? Does it save in the source file folder, or does it save in the last folder used?

If the latter, I wonder if that is the reason why Photoshop allows you to "Save as..." as a jpg/png copy"? Allowing the Export option to save in an export folder, and the Save option to save in the source directory...

hah! I think I got to the bottom of it: There seems to be a bug that occurs when opening files via the Finder on the mac. Perhaps a similar one exists for the Windows explorer?

I suppose if this gets resolved, deciding whether the default location of the Export dialog is the last folder, or the source folder, is IMO a minor issue since one can easily choose the last folder or the source folder with 2 clicks from inside the Save/Open dialog (inside the Where? dropdown there is a section called Recent Places and the recently accessed folders normally should appear there).

post-10622-0-97482300-1497287130_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...