You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Chintan,

Everyone above is correct. If you want this to be automated you may want to check out this

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/studiomax/

It will not get you what you could achieve on an individual basis with AP (which would be way better) but everything has a cost.

This is why good professional wedding and event photos earn there corn!

Regards

I've checked the link, and the software seems interesting but I can't afford that right now - I'm just a beginner with a new DSLR - I'll try it in the future when I've made enough along the way

Thank you :)

there is something about professionalism that requires doing things in a proper way and not just forwarding decisions to other people 

this implies that a bad decision done by someone else is not to be executed 

and a bad result can not be taken away by shifting the responsibilities to others 

as this is not free software I really hope there are professionals involved in doing the software 

anayway this is probably getting offtopic

edit TLDR: jees

closer related to the original post

I'd suggest to take a look at Capture One or Lightroom which are both proper management systems with flaws but they will (have to) work until something better is created by Affinity

or use something like Adobe Bridge to sort through the pictures and then use Affinity Photo to edit a selection of them, maybe something below 100 pictures is somewhat "manageable"

Initially I wrestled with the decision to even edit photos as I just liked taking photos in JPEG format and using them as they were with no changes

I've come to accept that I will have to shoot in RAW and work with that to bring out the best possible photos. A lot of local photographers who I am touch with would recommend using lightroom

But the issues I have were that it's expensive and it's also not locally available - all adobe paid products like lightroom or photoshop are not available in my country - so I chose affinity photo instead since it's within my budget and seems just as good from reviews

Well when performing shootings from events, weddings and things like that, you first of all sight and sort out the image yield. Since not every image will be fine in terms of being a good athmospheric shot or splendid captured art, further there are often doubletes and similar looking images among taken series etc. - So you will process most common snapshots only the usual autoway here in terms of applying initial whitebalance correction settings and things like that.

After that review you sort out images and concentrate on the best shots or important scenes etc. For portraits you really take only the best ones, where you then do spend more time on those special selected ones for retouching and fine art work.

It helps to speed things often slightly if you setup for your workflow some automatims here, like some action/macro which then creates the certain retouching layers (remove reds, boost, soften skin, define eyes, brighten eyes, white teeth, dodge/burn ... etc.) and corresponding layer masks for finetuning here, which you will need for working over selected portraits shots.

Generally be careful to not overdo things here, the more natural and decent things still look the better! - Tools like those shown above are usually a no go here, it's better to do things manually by an own customized workflow for selected images which are worth to be optimized. The rest (the majority) of snapshots has to be processed via automatisms, since otherwise you never can work out 1000 shots in endless time until deadline!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Google stopped updating Picasso but you can still get it at filehippo. http://filehippo.com/download_picasa

It's the only thing I can think of other than lightroom where you can sort through hundreds of photos easily and quickly, to cull the ones you don't wish to process further. It might work for you until Affinity creates a solution.

See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJBGnT0KW8&list=PLQi3kkkNTzPis0h-IB-tUPF49f2Nr3xCx

Also, This is a really good youtube channel for learning portrait work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eq_CJT-d0o&index=1&list=PLrWz6AWzo-mnpwcOx4XcXGaxIgLRaKOhS

Once you get some practice you will get faster. First you need to cull your work in lightroom or picasa. Then use Affinity to "tweak" till your happy with the results. The no fuss way is out there with internet apps but you might not be happy in the long run. If you shoot raw you can always revisit your work as you gain experience.

By culling you mean discarding photos that can't be used - then I'm just viewing them one by one and deleting as necessary - that doesn't usually take me long so I'm not worried about that part

I checked the video list - there are some good ideas there but it's beyond me for the time being - it felt like it's meant for professionals who are trying to be more professional :mellow:

Though I will look at it from time to time to give me a guide or direction on where I need to be headed

Thank you

The OP just said the photos were of a "private family function" so we don't know if it was a wedding, or even if it was something the family would have wanted a professional photographer to shoot.

More than once, I have "been volunteered" to take photos of private events I have been a part of. I have found it best for all concerned to cull the shots considerably before showing them to anyone, using whatever knowledge I have of the people in attendance to get an idea of which ones they would not like, what if any retouching they would find acceptable, & which shots show something memorable enough to keep.

Thank you - it was a pre wedding function and they wanted a photographer who wasn't using a point and shoot or phone camera - so I fit the bill since I have a Nikon DSLR

The other reason why they asked me to photograph was that I was mostly readily available - the pre wedding and wedding were not fixed - they could have happened at any date and time - most professional photographers in my city want to know of the date 2 weeks beforehand so that they can free themselves - I was called for the wedding 10 hours before it started :D

I'll reduce as much as I can so that I don't have to do so much editing - but still, the workload is going to be high for me, especially considering I have a 7-5 job for 6 days a week and photography is my hobby

Just a few minutes ago, one of my friends has invited me to photograph her pre wedding event - in the 3 hours :o