You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi again,

I took about 500 photos over the weekend of a private family function and I wished to know how to edit the photos so that I can achieve the effect as shown in the screenshot below:

Is there a fast or easy way to do it without much fuss? And in a way that I can duplicate the effect either using presets in develop persona or using batch processing in photo persona

Thank you

post-50884-0-11785700-1492512308_thumb.png

Hi Chintan, Some of the settings (the global ones) you want to achieve can be done through macros and the Batch Process command there are good on-line how-to videos, others like blemish removal, cloning would have to be done on an individual image basis. (unless everyone is clamped into the same position like those old Victorian images :) )

Regards

Hi Chintan, Some of the settings (the global ones) you want to achieve can be done through macros and the Batch Process command there are good on-line how-to videos, others like blemish removal, cloning would have to be done on an individual image basis. (unless everyone is clamped into the same position like those old Victorian images :) )

Regards

So which effects would I have to use and why? I'm new to editing photos so forgive my ignorance

Chintan, your questions are so comprehensive/complex and almost impossible to answer in a forum.
I would advise you to look at i.e Youtube and search for tutorials.
Most tutorials for Photoshop will be useful.

And the tutorials for Affinity are excellent. Scroll down to the Retouching section. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

So which effects would I have to use and why? I'm new to editing photos so forgive my ignorance

That is a lot like asking what paints & tools you should use when creating original artwork -- it all depends on what. you want to achieve, the subject(s) you are working with, the desired mood or ambience, the quality of the original photo, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

EDIT: You can ignore this as I see you have posted additional questions and have moved much further on.

In concert with the responders above, I think you have asked your question a bit vaguely on a topic that is universe-large. For example, what effect in your screenshot are you referring to? The gray band at the top, the beauty retouching part, the cropping, or what? So, let's assume you mean the beauty touch-up: skin color and blemishes, highlights, shadows, etc.

In the back of our minds, should we assume you really want to act on 500 photos or will you cull it down to 45 photos? Then how extensively do you want to retouch?

I suggest you look for a workflow method recommended by someone who does touch-ups. Take that workflow method and apply it to each of your photos to the extent you desire on each photo as no two will be the same. Here is a sample of a touch-up workflow (just Google search for 1,000,000 others):

https://fstoppers.com/education/simple-mens-portrait-retouching-workflow-65638

Many people have settled on many workflows: if you don't like this one, look at others. Search this forum for a number of them for Affinity Photo.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Hi Chintan,

Everyone above is correct. If you want this to be automated you may want to check out this

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/studiomax/

It will not get you what you could achieve on an individual basis with AP (which would be way better) but everything has a cost.

This is why good professional wedding and event photos earn there corn!

Regards

if that's the kind of look you are after 

ough  :huh:  :blink:  :o

Even for something as overdone as that, it all depends on the intended purpose, the client's (if there is one) wishes, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

there is something about professionalism that requires doing things in a proper way ...

Sure, but the "proper way" can vary greatly depending on the intended purpose. For example, the original shot you posted would be totally unsuitable for an ad for a beauty product, while the second version might be perfect for one of those 'you don't need to look like this to have a good self-image' things.

Also, a big part of professionalism is delivering what the client asks for, rather than what you think they should be asking for.

Affinity Photo 

Eh oh. Portrait Pro.

I find portraiture gets me into trouble too easily. I take what I think is a great photo that really shows the person's character. Then they get unhappy because it is not flattering enough.

At least landscapes don't answer back.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

I find portraiture gets me into trouble too easily. I take what I think is a great photo that really shows the person's character. Then they get unhappy because it is not flattering enough.

There are many sides to most people's character, personality, temperament, or whatever you want to call the traits that make them who they are. It is not too hard to understand why someone might not want a permanent record of what they might consider to be an unrepresentative or distorted representation of their true nature, whether flattering or not.

This is more true now than ever before because of the increased likelihood that even private photos will show up on the web.

Some of my friends get quite disturbed if anybody tries to take candid photos of them or their family. Some are willing to pose for formal portraits only for specific purposes, like a head shot needed to promote their business or charity work, & they usually have good reasons for wanting the photo to look a certain way.

Fundamentally, portraits are a very personal thing. 

Affinity Photo 

Funny that, when I saw "not an expert", "many wedding pictures" and what was asked I thought of Portrait Professional too - the OP will save himself masses of time.

One caveat, though, be very, very gentle with corrections - it is easy to stray into artificiality.  It pays to reign in the program's enthusiasm to beautify people using the algorithm that actually started the PortraitProfessional business..

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hi again,

I took about 500 photos over the weekend of a private family function and I wished to know how to edit the photos so that I can achieve the effect as shown in the screenshot below:

Is there a fast or easy way to do it without much fuss? And in a way that I can duplicate the effect either using presets in develop persona or using batch processing in photo persona

Thank you

Google stopped updating Picasso but you can still get it at filehippo. http://filehippo.com/download_picasa

It's the only thing I can think of other than lightroom where you can sort through hundreds of photos easily and quickly, to cull the ones you don't wish to process further. It might work for you until Affinity creates a solution.

See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJBGnT0KW8&list=PLQi3kkkNTzPis0h-IB-tUPF49f2Nr3xCx

Also, This is a really good youtube channel for learning portrait work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eq_CJT-d0o&index=1&list=PLrWz6AWzo-mnpwcOx4XcXGaxIgLRaKOhS

Once you get some practice you will get faster. First you need to cull your work in lightroom or picasa. Then use Affinity to "tweak" till your happy with the results. The no fuss way is out there with internet apps but you might not be happy in the long run. If you shoot raw you can always revisit your work as you gain experience.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Google stopped updating Picasso ...

17918.jpg

... but you can still get it at filehippo. http://filehippo.com/download_picasa

17917.png

Spot the difference! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

lol you got me. at least the link is correct even if i can't spell.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Funny that, when I saw "not an expert", "many wedding pictures" and what was asked I thought of Portrait Professional too - the OP will save himself masses of time.

The OP just said the photos were of a "private family function" so we don't know if it was a wedding, or even if it was something the family would have wanted a professional photographer to shoot.

More than once, I have "been volunteered" to take photos of private events I have been a part of. I have found it best for all concerned to cull the shots considerably before showing them to anyone, using whatever knowledge I have of the people in attendance to get an idea of which ones they would not like, what if any retouching they would find acceptable, & which shots show something memorable enough to keep.

Affinity Photo 

There are many sides to most people's character, personality, temperament, or whatever you want to call the traits that make them who they are. It is not too hard to understand why someone might not want a permanent record of what they might consider to be an unrepresentative or distorted representation of their true nature, whether flattering or not.

This is more true now than ever before because of the increased likelihood that even private photos will show up on the web.

Some of my friends get quite disturbed if anybody tries to take candid photos of them or their family. Some are willing to pose for formal portraits only for specific purposes, like a head shot needed to promote their business or charity work, & they usually have good reasons for wanting the photo to look a certain way.

Fundamentally, portraits are a very personal thing. 

Indeed. In developing http://changingminds.org I've learned a lot about the complexities of people (and I'm still trying to figure out my how my own brain works). We often see ourselves quite differently to how others see us.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Chintan, your questions are so comprehensive/complex and almost impossible to answer in a forum.

I would advise you to look at i.e Youtube and search for tutorials.

Most tutorials for Photoshop will be useful.

And the tutorials for Affinity are excellent. Scroll down to the Retouching section. 

I'll look at the affinity tutorials under the retouching section as soon as I get time - I've been having hectic days at work as well as at home

I took photos at a wedding yesterday until late at night, so there's probably another 700 photos on top of the 400 I had before that I need to work through. The wedding event was a complex affair, with 10 different ceremonies so the photos were a lot.

That is a lot like asking what paints & tools you should use when creating original artwork -- it all depends on what. you want to achieve, the subject(s) you are working with, the desired mood or ambience, the quality of the original photo, etc.

I realise I should have stated more clearly what I was after - but then again I'm not exactly sure what I'm after.

Certainly I want the photos I've taken to feel good or look good  - I've learned how to change exposure, blackpoint, white balance and even the tone curve to achieve the right colour and brightness balance.

But people can have skin blemishes or pimples or dark/light spots on their faces or other irregularities that they would like to remove in the photo - these are the ones that I would like to work on

In the screenshot it looks like all those defects were removed after processing in AP

Plus the skin seems somehow more radiant/glowing? Is that the right term?

EDIT: You can ignore this as I see you have posted additional questions and have moved much further on.

In concert with the responders above, I think you have asked your question a bit vaguely on a topic that is universe-large. For example, what effect in your screenshot are you referring to? The gray band at the top, the beauty retouching part, the cropping, or what? So, let's assume you mean the beauty touch-up: skin color and blemishes, highlights, shadows, etc.

In the back of our minds, should we assume you really want to act on 500 photos or will you cull it down to 45 photos? Then how extensively do you want to retouch?

I suggest you look for a workflow method recommended by someone who does touch-ups. Take that workflow method and apply it to each of your photos to the extent you desire on each photo as no two will be the same. Here is a sample of a touch-up workflow (just Google search for 1,000,000 others):

https://fstoppers.com/education/simple-mens-portrait-retouching-workflow-65638

Many people have settled on many workflows: if you don't like this one, look at others. Search this forum for a number of them for Affinity Photo.

Yes, the beauty touch up part of it.

Well, I've cut down those photos from 500 to about 400, but I can't reduce much further. Reason being the function was sort of a pre wedding preparation for the bride plus welcoming the groom - the whole event was like 15 distinct ceremonies combined into one - one ceremony is where the bride receives blessings from relatives and friends - and she specifically wanted photos of each person giving her blessings - and there were 80 people :D

I can't seem to access the link - maybe the company IT department has blocked that site - I'll check it when I get home