You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's all there. Perhaps see the tutorial: 

Or you can import specific brushes too.

Hello again.

It would be great to have a spray tool in Affinity Designer to scatter selected objects ( or just symbol(s) ) with configurable deviation of position/rotation/scale and opacity. I imagine it won't be very hard to implement and it would be very useful. Thanks!

I need to spray selected vector objects, ideally symbols, so I can live-edit them. Currently there is no such thing in Affinity Designer. Since it doesn't support scripting/plugins I had to create a standalone util that scatters svg object across the canvas, so I could export an object, scatter it, and re-import the result back to AD. It's not a very convenient workflow  :) I'd prefer if I could do something like this natively in AD. Or it would be even better if Affinity apps supported scripting

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, simonlayfield said:

Was this ever considered as a feature request officially? Was looking for whether something like this might make it on to the roadmap and curious to know if it was considered but dropped.

Vector spray? I don't think it ever was. 

Designer is a vector drawing program with surprisingly few vector tools. If you are on a budget, the more you use Designer, the more you will like Inkscape. And have to use it anyway.

I don't think Designer will ever get these cool vector features - it should be obvious by now. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

13 hours ago, Jowday said:

If you are on a budget, the more you use Designer, the more you will like Inkscape. And have to use it anyway.

@Jowday Is this the 'clone' feature in Inkscape?

Are there any other solutions out there (mac) that anyone knows of? @sorax you mentioned creating a standalone util. By canvas do you mean HTML5 canvas, or are you using alternative software?

3 hours ago, simonlayfield said:

@Jowday Is this the 'clone' feature in Inkscape?

@simonlayfield No it is a real spray tool. You activate it from the toolbar. Select spray tool, select a source shape and... spray:

image.thumb.png.1227bd04456ae267920076ce41995d4a.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 4/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, davemac2015 said:

used Fractal Design Painter (now Corel Painter) and it had a nice feature called "image hose," that sounds very much like what you're asking for

The other big difference being that the image hose actually has collections of different shapes that worked together as a single "brush" of sorts, and you can configure it to pump them out in order, randomly, etc., which can make for a very useful artwork tool.

Part of me wants to suggest that a bitmap version of that in Photo and a vector version in Designer would be nice, but I'm not actually convinced it belongs in Photo in the end, as it is more of a digital painting tool rather than a photo retouching tool...  though a vector version of that would definitely fit well in Designer.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been using Designer for illustration purposes and found it very fluid with lots of cool features (the isometric grids; the ability to switch to PP* and add those awesome textures to your shapes, etc etc)

But AD surely deserves the Spray tool as referred 1st by @sorax:

On 4/18/2017 at 9:23 AM, sorax said:

Hello again.

It would be great to have a spray tool in Affinity Designer to scatter selected objects ( or just symbol(s) ) with configurable deviation of position/rotation/scale and opacity. I imagine it won't be very hard to implement and it would be very useful. Thanks!

Let's do it Serif! Upgrade a Spray Tool   in AD! 

*Pixel Persona

Edited by Sig. Galvani
missing quote

On 2/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, Elio said:

Wanted to spray some gradient filled circles at different small sizes and realized that I'll have to do it by hand.

Imagine hundreds and hundreds of duplicates you need in varied sizes and rotation angles etc. as VECTOR objects in a VECTOR illustration!

• 2 months later...

I've been trying this application out with a trial key, and, honestly, this is enough to prevent me buying the product. I've come from Inkscape and the spray tool is hella useful. I can put up with the unstable performance for it. As far as I'm concerned, this product has to stand well against Illustrator and Inkscape. What I find odd is that the predecessor to Affinity Designer - DrawPlus - does have a spray tool of some description.