You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, Affinity Designer developers!

Product is positioned as a cool tool for UI design (but we spent time and fell into the trap). I used the editor to design the UI of my game. Now I have a problem.

https://monosnap.com/file/QWfuKVh1qCUWruBGFMTaUD8QYOkdIJ

·         I can't think of how to transfer assets to developer (and he can easy work with them as objects)

·         I can't make simple animations for UI (buttons, animations, progress bar, animation, text)

Please, tell me how you solve these problems in your projects. What is your workflow/pipeline with flash developers?

Do I have to redraw all with Animate CC?

I think that depends on the developer and how he is gonna use the images that you are generating. Flash/AnimateCC it self is an animation tool so if the programmer is used to animate UI elements you will need to import the assets from affinity there. You could check how "Samrost 1" of Amanita Design was made... it has a lot of raster images working on the game. I know they generated several atlas for the sprites but exactly how they did that I'm not sure.

If I would need to animate a button I would simply create 3 states... 1 Idle. 2 Active. 3. Support image... and support image being some extra border or glow that the programmer could give some interesting effect as bloom or ease-out for example.

1) export each element as a SVG from Designer

2) import each SVG element into Flash. You will have to convert the elements to graphic symbols and/or movieclips in Flash.

3) if animated elements are required, use the moviclips/graphic symbols to animate things. You may have to create additional nested movieclips to animate sub-elements, if needed.

4) hand final Flash file with animations to developer.

Don't forget to organize the assets nicely in Flash's library, of course. Confer with the developer whether he/she must have movieclips, graphic symbols, etc. to work with during development.

Most artists who I know work in a separate illustration tool, and import the static assets into Flash for animation, then hand over the file(s) to the developer.

BTW the flash format is pretty dead nowadays and widely treated as being the root of all evil! - So you better take actually the replacing HTML5 Canvas or WebGL route here instead, also to being more on the secure and up-to-date side here.

Take a view of the existing game engines and also think before about maybe possible platform and device cross-platform portability for your game. There are runtime and dev environments like for example Unity, which can overall ease this process and which support to work with a wide range of assets.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

BTW the flash format is pretty dead nowadays and widely treated as being the root of all evil! - So you better take actually the replacing HTML5 Canvas or WebGL route here instead, also to being more on the secure and up-to-date side here.

Take a view of the existing game engines and also think before about maybe possible platform and device cross-platform portability for your game. There are runtime and dev environments like for example Unity, which can overall ease this process and which support to work with a wide range of assets.

Yeah... about that. Besides Flash is getting obsolete... AnimateCC allows you to export the games to HTML5. One of the major reasons Flash/Animate CC is still being used to make games is because there is no good alternative for the potential of the tool. Most of the "HTML5" "WebGL" engines out there doesn't have level editors and you must relay on software as "Tiled" that is not that versatile as making your game on right on to Flash. Even with Unity exporting for Web you have no way of debug any possible problem once your game is running at the navigator which is a Boomer... and you have a 14Mb file only for an "Hello World".

You have options as Construct and GameMaker but the fact that Flash can work directly with vectos is a huge adventage.