You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Currently I've been Downloading Fonts And Other assets onto my mac so That I can have a wider arsenal of resources. I was just doing a design for one of my friends and realized I couldn't find the font I just downloaded, I Thought it'd be amazing if there was little folders of some sort within the app that'll differentiate the downloaded "user" fonts, and the fonts that The computer you are using comes with, for better organization. 
even though i've never seen this feature on any other apps or software, is there a way you could implement this? 

CalvinCoolridge,

If you have lots of fonts and managing them is important to you, then you should think about investing in a font managing application like Suitcase Fusion, Font Explorer X, Fontcase, or other similar type applications. If you use lots of different fonts for many different projects a dedicated font manager will help. If you aren't a professional designer and you don't have or use lots of different fonts then you wouldn't really need it. I'm just like Dave, I always have more fonts than I ever remember installing.  

• 1 year later...

I'm on Affinity Designer Beta for Windows, and I must say I'm blown away by how good it is, but lack of separated font folder is a deal breaker for me. Installing all your fonts (around 4000 in my case) into a system is really "no go" on Windows OS.

Reasons:

Lot slower boot-up time

Bloated operating system

Unnecessary memory usage

Some other applications are loading all the unnecessary fonts for them that way....

It would be great if you could create separate folder somewhere in the Affinity directory for the fonts that will be used only with Affinity applications. Adobe has it, you should definitely have it.

• 11 months later...

I know this is an older post but, I have the same concerns as Wladimus.

I'm on Affinity Designer Beta for Windows, and I must say I'm blown away by how good it is, but lack of separated font folder is a deal breaker for me. Installing all your fonts (around 4000 in my case) into a system is really "no go" on Windows OS.

Reasons:

Lot slower boot-up time

Bloated operating system

Unnecessary memory usage

Some other applications are loading all the unnecessary fonts for them that way....

It would be great if you could create separate folder somewhere in the Affinity directory for the fonts that will be used only with Affinity applications. Adobe has it, you should definitely have it.

I am a sysadmin at the company I work for, and we are currently looking for replacements to Adobe Illustrator CS6. Once we find the right program we will probably be purchasing around 30 licenses. Our lead designer is interested in this program but without an external font folder this program just isnt feasible. We use an external font folder here to ensure that all of our designers have the same fonts as each other, as well as keep their systems running as best as possible. Windows bogs way down with more fonts installed, and if every font we use was to be installed, that'd be 6,000+ fonts per workstation.

Please consider adding an external font folder feature and keep me posted.

• Staff

Hi Wladimus, DeanT,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Without devaluating your request, have you consider to use a font manager to help with those issues? There's no need to keep all fonts installed on Windows. Font Managers can make fonts available/unavailable on demand (some can do it automatically). You can organise fonts in groups per project/client or any other criteria you want and enable/disable them as needed.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

We too have been using the Fonts folder with Adobe products and would greatly value a separate folder where we could place fonts and they would appear in Serif products. It is quite convenient to script the installation and update procedure for hundreds of workstations that way. (Also much cheaper as we don't have to invest in font management.)

• 6 months later...

I'll add that the font folder is a critically important feature for type designers.

While I am developing a typeface, I keep a document open in InDesign with longform samples that rigorously test kerning pairs and spacing for each master. Without closing the InDesign document, I can re-export my fonts from Glyphs (overwriting the old font files in the Adobe fonts folder) and InDesign will automatically update the layout with the updated fonts. This takes 1–5 seconds and 0 additional actions—with the additional advantage of a visible transition.

Working in Affinity (or any non-Adobe app), I have to go through the cumbersome process of save/quitting my font production app, removing the current version of my font from Font Book, clearing my Mac system font cache using an Apple Script (otherwise problems occur), rebooting for the cache-clear to take effect, and finally installing the new version once my computer has restarted. This takes 60–90 seconds and maybe 15–20 actions.

Adobe's robust support for fonts gives Glyphs- and Fontlab-users the possibility of entirely new workflows. While sculpting a logotype or drafting a new text typeface, the tightness of the tweak-export-proof loop helps me produce better typography. I love the Affinity suite, but until it can match Adobe's next-level type support, I have to stick with InDesign and Illustrator for type-development purposes.

Edited by jeremybanka
typo

• 11 months later...

For type designers this feature is absolutely essential. The lack of a dedicated font directory is literally the only thing holding me back from jumping to Publisher.

On 6/7/2017 at 10:11 AM, MEB said:

There's no need to keep all fonts installed on Windows.

Unfortunately, only on Windows (as far as I know). On macOS it is like @jeremybanka explained.

And while @Wladimus is a Windows user, there are other professionals like him working with macOS, having to handle thousands of font files; a separate font folder really would make things easier.

• 1 year later...

The thing is, i get a lot of idml files with two Folders one called "Links" for images and one called "Document fonts" for font files. 
It's part of the adobe file package thingy. It would really help a lot not to install all these fonts that don't get used outside a certain File or Project.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:11 AM, MEB said:

Hi Wladimus, DeanT,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Without devaluating your request, have you consider to use a font manager to help with those issues? There's no need to keep all fonts installed on Windows. Font Managers can make fonts available/unavailable on demand (some can do it automatically). You can organise fonts in groups per project/client or any other criteria you want and enable/disable them as needed.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 9:38 AM, StainX said:

I use a font manager on Win10 (FontBase), it just would be so much easier to handle a few hundred projects with "font folders" instead of activating / deactivating all those fonts the "manual" way.

The way Adobe handles it is great with packaged Indesign and Illustrator files. I use my font software a lot less now (Font Explorer Pro).