You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colors as variables and live set functions

I have two requests:

1) I'd like to define a color, save it just like I do with swatches, and then be able to add it to stuff. Then, if I change the saved color, everything that is using that color, should change too.

2) When you take two shapes and perform a set function (addition, subtraction, intersection, etc), a new shape is created. It would be better if both shapes are preserved so that you can keep messing with them.

Thats all.

PS: Thank you for noticing we could a better tool.

• Staff

Hello fceruti

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Linked colors (and other attributes) will come later.

You can already perform non-destructive boolean operations in Affinity Designer. Just press alt while clicking on the boolean operation icon on the toolbar to create a compound shape (expand the compound shape layer in the Layers panel to select the original objects used to create it).

Hello fceruti

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Linked colors (and other attributes) will come later.

You can already perform non-destructive boolean operations in Affinity Designer. Just press alt while clicking on the boolean operation icon on the toolbar to create a compound shape (expand the compound shape layer in the Layers panel to select the original objects used to create it).

Thank you so much!

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Hi Jelen07,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, (as described in the first point in the first post on this thread). This feature is called Global Colours. You can specify a global colour and apply it to several objects. If later you change/edit the Global Colour, all objects using it will update accordingly. To create a Global Colour, go to the Swatches panel, click on the small menu icon on the top right and select Add Global Colour.... For additional info regarding please check this link.

Regarding other attributes (also applicable to colours) check the Symbols feature (although i'm not sure if this is what you are looking for).  You can create them from any layers/objects on your project and then drag instances of them to the canvas (all from the Symbols panel). Changes made to the original symbol will be reflected on all instances of that symbol, but more than that you can also specify which attributes will be synchronised and which don't, so for example you can change the stroke width of the original symbol and only have a few specific instances of it updated while others retain the unchanged's stroke width. This feature is only available in Affinity Designer. For more information about Symbols please check these resources:

Symbols (video tutorial)

- Symbols (help topic)

Hi MEB,

thanks for the info about Global Colours. Am I able to create palette with some colors and change them instantly? For example I could have bright and dark theme which contain different colors or I have to change them manually, one by one?

Also thanks for symbols links ;)

• Staff

Hi Jelen07,
No, that's not possible. Currently you can only generate variations from a single reference colour (Tints, Shades and Tones) as well as colour harmonies (Complementary, Analogous, Triadic etc). You can access these command through the Colour panel, clicking on the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and selecting Add Chord to Swatch.

On a side mote, you can use Adjustments (icon on the bottom on the Layers panel) to affect the colours of the artwork on canvas or of a set of colours you built or image from which you can then generate Affinity palettes going to the Swatches panel and selecting Create Palette From Document and Create Palette from Image commands.