You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector is too big or too small for the artboard

Hi,

I'm submitting some designs to stock sites like shutterstock. So far I've submitted them as JPGs (not vectors) and they were accepted; a couple of days ago, I decided to submit as vector. I've attached the design (noleftTurn). It got rejected with a "vector is either too big or too small for the artboard" error. I looked up similar errors on the SS website and it seems like people are suggesting to make sure the design doesn't get clipped off on the sides... I'm not sure what's meant by that as I didn't have any artboards in my design and the design was centered in the page.

Here's a sample comment posted by other users when they got a similar rejection:

https://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/87326-too-big-or-too-small-for-artboard/

Any idea what changes I should be doing? I tried making an artboard of size 400x400 (as recommended in the post) and placing the design in it. Would that help? See 2nd attachment (leftSignAB)

thanks.

leftSignAB.afdesign

noLeftTurn.afdesign

I'm submitting some designs to stock sites like shutterstock. So far I've submitted them as JPGs (not vectors) and they were accepted; a couple of days ago, I decided to submit as vector.

What export options did you choose?

Not that it should matter, but I notice the diagonal line is at an angle of -48.5° and the donut is wider than it is high. I would expect the diagonal to be rotated to exactly -45° and the donut to be circular.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What export options did you choose?

Not that it should matter, but I notice the diagonal line is at an angle of -48.5° and the donut is wider than it is high. I would expect the diagonal to be rotated to exactly -45° and the donut to be circular.

thanks for your reply Alfred. I exported as .eps since that's what's required by SS. 

Good points about the sizes/angles. I fixes the diagonal line to be at -45; how do I ensure the donut is circular? When I created it, I enlarged its size by doing Shift and extending it, but maybe that distorted the size a bit...

Shift-dragging a corner of the donut should maintain its aspect ratio, but having made it roughly the right size you can force it to be circular by going to the Transform panel and typing either w in the Height control or h in the Width control.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Shift-dragging a corner of the donut should maintain its aspect ratio, but having made it roughly the right size you can force it to be circular by going to the Transform panel and typing either w in the Height control or h in the Width control.

thanks Alfred...that ensured the donut was circular.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to bump this topic again....

I was also having problems getting any vector drawings accepted by Shutterstock and have found this is due to the artboard size in the EPS file.  Although the document size settings and the display on-screen all look ok in AD, if I open the EPS file in Adobe Illustrator (got a trial running on that at the moment), then the artboard is shown much smaller than the drawing. Resizing the artboard in AI and exporting the EPS from there, gives me a file that Shutterstock does accept. 

So it looks like, either I am not doing the EPS export correctly from AD - maybe missed some settings somewhere? - or AD is not creating the exported file correctly.

Anyone got more info on this?  (I really d not want to have to pay subs to Adobe, just so I can run files through AI for export)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 2:35 PM, murattanhu said:

I have a some problem and I can't solve it.

so, I regret to leave  to AD, and I keep on going with AI. 

Althought I don't like AI that I started use it again.

I very very very loved Affinity Designer :(

So do I. I use affinity both on my Mac and iPad for working all things, and I've found the same problem like this.

I try to export by the new trial CorelDraw2019 for mac, and it works, but I don't like to work on it because for me it hard to use, just for export.