You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stupid question about cropping images on affinity photo

Hi, I'm new to affinity and never used photoshop and having trouble with cropping an image. I know, I'm such a novice, but I could not find this answer anywhere on affinity tutorials/forums.

I'm resizing a portrait size image to a square using the crop tool. I have it exactly as I want it and I want to copy and paste it to a different project in affinity. But the crop tool is only changing the size of the canvas, so when I copy and paste the image, the entire portrait size pastes and not the square that I want.

Is there some sort of command short cut to make the image match what you're viewing on the canvas? Not sure why something so simple seems so complicated  <_<

Thanks.

Is your layer "Image" or "Pixel" ? The last one is what you want, as the first one is still a dynamic original and not completely bitmap, for manipulation purposes. You have to rasterize it first from image to a pixel layer and then do the crop. 

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672