You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity Designer allow for plugins?

Call it plug-ins or scripts, I would love to see something like that developed by Serif.

I hope that Serif will do a better job than Adobe, though.

Quite frankly I would standardise on JavaScript.

It would satisfy both mac and windows users and would prevent maintaining 2 languages by the plugin developers one for Mac and another for Windows platform.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Yes, I agree with that.
And it could be javascript or python. Both are fully supported by both platforms and just require a simple text editor to code (although, a dedicated IDE is way better :-) )

Personally, I would prefer python since it is much more powerful and is becoming a standard in graphical scripting languages. But javascript is also nice (I can code in both languages ;-) ).

• Staff

Hi,

Internally we do have functioning macros and a macro recorder. We can replay whole or partial document creation and we actually use this for our regression testing framework. We will look to expose this in the future and we may also add Apple Script support.

Cheers,

Matt

Sorry for re-awake this subject but I just updated my iDraw app (the one I have been using for simple drawing tasks) and they just added the ability to create plugins. Anyone with javascript of Objective C experience will be able to create simple or complex plugins.

Would this be too much to expect from future releases?

Check it out here:

http://www.indeeo.com/idraw/new/

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for resurrecting this topic but I was illustrating with AD and some of the operations I have been doing are begging for some sort of automation and, being able to script something simple would make it sooooo much easier.

I'm talking about simple stuff that is a great help in some types of repetitive or tedious work that would be simple to code but, by no means should be asked to Serif to include in the feature set.

Let me give you and example.

I have a layer with LOTS of curves making up strands of hair. Now, I would like to select, lets say, 30% of those hairs, randomly, to give them a slightly different color.

If we had a scripting language, I would simply code something that would go through all the objects of the active layer and select the object if a randomly generated number - between 0 and 1- would fall under .3

As it is now, I will have to Shift+click a LOT!!!

Please, please, add scripting abilities to Affinity Designer. Allow us to create utility scripts inside AD :-)

• 1 month later...

I think scripting will be an important thing for AD. But - sorry rue_mac ;) - Please don't use Python. I know it is still popular with some people, but it is definitely not more powerful than Javascript. With Javascript supported in any Webbrowser and the really big Node.js & NPM boom it is nearly omnipresent now.

Perhaps the Idea to create an AppleScript-Interface is the best first option - with OSX Yosemite any AppleScript-App can be scripted using Javascript too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I really think this is a great idea.

Being able to program plugins could take a serious load off of the Affinity Team to implement larger feature requests and allow third-party developers to make plugins for the smaller feature requests.

Also, with Yosemite allowing for Javascript programming, I for one would be willing to whip up some simple potrace/vectorizer plugin.

+1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I can imagine the Affinity Team is working hard on this feature and looking closely at sketch's plugin system. Affinity has the superior platform and just gave sketch a heavy blow with the new features in Affinity Designer 1.5. So I suggest they really implement what works best for the Affinity Team instead of what individual users seems best. But anyway here my 5 cents.

1. Check Alfred! It's Mac only yes BUT its clearly a real power tool that likely most Affinity Users are already familiar with. Maybe there is a way to build on Alfred instead of reinventing the wheel. Alfred also has a nice Remote App for iOS which on an iPad is a real blast to use. It would be great to enable iPad owners to utilize their Tablet as an extended Touch Interface for Affinity.

2. We experimented a little with JXCore on iOS and its a great way to get a whole Node.JS Server running on an iOS Device. In this case Javascript would be an interesting choice for extending the Interface on a extended Touch Input Device.

3. Package Management is a MUST HAVE! Alfred has already some kind of implementation with Jackal so its maybe worth looking.

Just some thoughts but as I said I am sure the guys from Affinity are already totally aware of every possible option and I have a feeling that we will see something very exciting which goes beyond what we have in mind :)

Have a nice day and don't buy a new car this year :) the revolution is coming

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on that from some moderator? ETA?

I would really love some the possibility of creating generative vector art. JS would be a good choice, I think!

You could be really REALLY appealing to all people coming from Processing or P5JS or other code frameworks for artists.

I've seen iDraw and I think I will buy it just for trying it's scripting features. :)

Owner of a laser cutting business && lover of generative design   |   http://vvzen.it

Hi all,

First of all congratulations for your product. We are in the process of adopting your tool because we feel it fits to current day design needs better than other products.

We think Affinity Designer could behave like a UI editor, extending some functionalities like:

• Support for custom attributes for items and documents and persisted in the file format.
  • API to define custom user interface tool windows (and widgets) to easily assign these attributes.
  • API functions to traverse the document and be able to export the data to custom documents using XML or JSON.
  • DDS export support.

These are only some suggestions in case Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo will allow plugins.

Thanks.

PD:

Have a nice day and don't buy a new car this year  :) the revolution is coming

You are right  ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been a loyal user of Affinity Designer for years now. I'm still waiting on the ability to have plugins. Having affinity designer work with InvisionApp would cut my work time in half. Especially if I could use Craft from Invision. 

The continued absence of this ability makes Sketch look more and more appealing every day.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a loyal user of Affinity Designer for years now. I'm still waiting on the ability to have plugins. Having affinity designer work with InvisionApp would cut my work time in half. Especially if I could use Craft from Invision. 

The continued absence of this ability makes Sketch look more and more appealing every day.

Indeed.

• 3 months later...