I have taken many handheld shots of a crescent moon but because i was attacked by a giant moth, some photos will be

in a different position. Can i still use all the photos to stack so i can get the best image

No, not yet, I did use a free software called Registac,

But it was hopeless, all the images were misaligned.

Can you point me to any tutorial for this.

The short answer is "yes." Since I assume the only thing moving is the camera, itself, the Automatic Alignment in the New Stack dialog should align the shots, cropping the parts that don't show up in all of your pictures.

I took a photo of the moon and created 3 versions of it. I purposefully mis-aligned the moon in the three photos.

post-12953-0-03721600-1492205778_thumb.jpg

Then, I brought them all into Affinity Photo with the File > New Stack command. The result was good alignment of the moon in all of the photos, with some cropping applied.

post-12953-0-53558600-1492206082_thumb.jpg

... but because i was attacked by a giant moth...

So you have been attacked by a Godzilla moth or a bat? :D

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Well it was a moth, it was gigantic, I ran for my life, nearly dropped the camera

and then you can never find the damn thing, god knows where it went hahaha

It was that big, it cast a shadow, one thing on your mind, leg it, forget the moon.