You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

we just begin to work with Affinity 1.5,

as this screen shot, it seems the Affinity does not support export the document to .ai format of the illustrator on MAC.

what format of Affinity export setting do we use for the illustrator on MAC which will inport Affinity document?

we see that .svg format can keep Affinity data of object, layer, line, font, etc.

post-46154-0-37641600-1492147014_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi info-cg,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity apps aren't able to export to Ai as you discovered (it's a closed/proprietary format).

Your you best options to transfer files between the two programs are PDF or EPS (as well as SVG). What @pruss meant to say is  that you can find a few more options/settings to export to these formats clicking on the More button.

thanks MEB.

I see, we better to use option PDF or EPS or SVG for inporting to the adove illustrator right?

we feel that the SVG exporting option will be best for object of logo or font or painting or illustration to the illustrator,
or do you recommend other of PDF or EPS?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

is there any plans to support .ai exports? Some Designer platforms require the final files in .eps AND .ai (both!), e.g. Designcrowd.

(One hack I've heard from is to save the work as PDF and than change the ending from .pdf to .ai)

Many thanks for your reply...

• Staff

Hi Bernds,

Welcome to the Forum

As .AI is a closed/proprietary format it wont be possible for Affinity to export them I'm afraid.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 9 months later...

This is very unclear and needs some clarification. If I create a logo or illustration in Affinity and a client specifically requests .AI, then I need to have an clear reply with an absolutely compatible file (.PDG or .EPS) they can use. I can't have a bunch of back-and-forth about it or worse, erroneous results on the client side.

What is the clear answer and best file to send to this request?

1 hour ago, dozens said:

That directly depends on the work you are doing and the client. I've sent .PSD files that the printers can open with Illustrator, for example.

Now, the only universal solution for sending the .AI file to the client is to send the .AI file as saved by Illustrator, if full compatibility is required as mandatory.

B!est regards

2 hours ago, dozens said:

Export to PDF, rename the exported file (in Finder on a Mac or in File Explorer on Windows) from *.pdf to *.ai, and then send the ‘AI’ file to the client. It will open without complaint in Illustrator, and the client will probably never know that it isn’t really an AI File.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Export to PDF, rename the exported file (in Finder on a Mac or in File Explorer on Windows) from *.pdf to *.ai, and then send the ‘AI’ file to the client. It will open without complaint in Illustrator, and the client will probably never know that it isn’t really an AI File.

Anyone that is going to edit that file will know. Illy doesn't automatically release clipping paths, for instance. Most any design I have made there are a dozen or more clipping paths that have to be released (and that clip path container deleted) in order to then work on the file.

The rename thing is a hack and is no better than just giving a PDF in the first place. The hack was originally done for various applications that couldn't open PDF but could AI files--when all they were opening was the pdf stream anyway!

dozens had started a new topic after posting to this thread.