You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problems with inpainting vrush tool

Hello, 1.5.2 on iOS Sierra.

Inpainting brush tool simply does not do anything on my images. No removing things no modifiyng things, nothing. What am I doing wrong?

I just want to remove spots on an image, something I did before 1.5.1 no problems. Am i forgot and use the wrong tool?

• Staff

Hi srg,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have the correct layer selected (not an adjustment or filter layer), that it's a (Pixel) layer (you can identify its type looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel - if it's identified as an (Image) layer type right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type) and that the brush opacity in the context toolbar for the Inpainting Brush Tool is NOT set to 0%. Let me know if you still have trouble.

You can only change/edit Pixel layers at a pixel level. Image layers are considered objects and retain all original image data. You can transform them globally (scale, rotate, skew etc) but you can't change their "content" (pixels).

Hi MEB,

here is a scheen shot of an example. The inpainting brush tool simply does not work. I I add a pixel layer to this I will gent nothing also Second screen shot. You can esasily see the  smudge I want to remove at 1 o'clock.

Regards.

post-53587-0-00128300-1492181561_thumb.png

post-53587-0-99601000-1492181867_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi srg,

If you want to "Inpaint" to a new layer instead of the original layer with the image data you must select Current Layer & Below from the context toolbar (the dropdown on the right). Right now you have both an empty layer selected and Current Layer in that dropdown so Affinity has no data to work with.

Sorry but I was not clear. If I try to remove the smudge on the original photo (in photo persona as shown in the attached screen shot) with the inpainting brush tool, I get no effect what so ever.

Whith the new layer and the Current layer and below I get no results either just the sign of the"brush" in the layer as shown in the second screen shot

Regards

post-53587-0-17777600-1492206964_thumb.png

post-53587-0-51434600-1492207248_thumb.png

If you duplicate the background layer; Cmd J (then you only need to set it to current layer), do you get the same result?

-Or click the padlock icon, and right-click the background layer and chose rasterise?

Also, I have experienced that the last brush I used "sticks" to the inpainting brush, so check that the brush is set to a basic brush.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hello Madame,

there must be a serious bug in the inpainting brush tool that was probably introduced with the 1.5.2 since it never happened with the previous version of AP.

I tried the inpainting brush tool on a duplicate layer as you siggested and nothing happens. That thing just does not want to work. 

You are absolutely right when you say the last brush sticks to the inpainting brush. I can add that that happened to me and since that moment the inpainting started not to worlk. Obviously I reversed to the basic brush at no avail.

Furthermonre I have the same not working problem with the blemish removal like a posted by another person on this forum.

I'm sorry that you have such difficulties, and that I couldn't help.
I'm sure there's a logical explanation  and that one of the saff can help. 
Does this happen to all the files, or is it just this one? 

Once this happened to me,  I found that I had the some "odd" brush selected together with the inpaiting brush.

Have you tried to reset the tools?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hello Madame,

tried everything, brushes are set to basic, reset the brush tool, etc. Nothing, that tool simply does not want to work and  in every file I tried it does not work.

The funny thing is that with the previous version of AP I never had that problem which, as I mentioned, after a spray-paint brush got "stuck"  to the inpainting tool. 

Now I resorted in exporting into PNG and working with another simpler application and than, if necessary, back to AP. Not fun.

Hope that someone of the staff may come up with a solution to what looks like a bug since you got the same issue.

PS: I changed the brush typemany times  and always the new brush remains stuck the the inpainting which obviously does not work.

Regards

Happy to comunicate that after relounching AP the inpainting tool starts to work again, no matter the type of brush. 

This sort of thing is not unique to v1.5.2 -- very often when something is not working as it should in any version either relaunching the app or resetting something to factory defaults "magically" fixes the problem.

So in my not so humble opinion, this is indeed symptomatic of one or more bugs in the app, because it should be stable enough that whatever needs resetting never occurs in normal use. To me, the only exceptions are conflicting add-ons to the OS or file corruption of a preference or related AD file.

Anybody else agree with this, or am I being overly critical?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I do not have the expertise to give my opinion but I have a general question on the inpainting brush

After working with a brush of any type and then switching to the inpainting tool what should happen to the last used brush? I mean should the profile of the brush still be attached to the impainting tool or the inpainting tool should go to his own default? 

Because in any case the last used brush always stays stuck to the inpainting brush unless it is actively changed to the basic type of brush.

@srg

I am not sure what settings might affect this but for me the Inpainting Brush retains the last brush type I selected for it, not the last one used with other brushes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

On 12/15/2017 at 5:25 AM, Daniel Geiger said:

Same inpainting problem, same re-launch solution. AP 1.6.6  Maybe worth suggesting that first.

Hello, I have the same problem. Also problems with other tools since update. When checking context bar sub menus, I discovered the brush settings were missing. I’ve just solved problem with inpainting brush by adding the inpainting brush and changing “accumulation” to 100%.