You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Needs to be More Intuitive

This program is amazingly unintuitive.  It's one of the main reasons I feel like I can't just jump ship from Photoshop or Illustrator to Photo or Designer.

For example, simple things like filling a selection should be reasonably intuitive.  I realize it's hard to target everyone's train of thought, but here's mine:

1) Open an image in Designer

2) Make a selection of what you want to fill

3) Use the 'Fill Tool' and draw in a fill within that selection based on whatever 'Fill Tool' options I've chosen.

However, all that happens is that I get a line that looks like Photo's 'Gradient Tool,' but nothing happens.  I go to Tutorials under the Help Menu, which takes me to a website, where I do a search for Fill Tool and I'm greeted with a myriad of things that don't apply.  So, I go to Help... under the Help Menu and look up Fill Tool and I'm greeted with the list of information below (which is neither descriptive enough to be useful, nor simple enough in application to be effective).

Considering the first two part of this list of information, where the fill tool allows you to adjust the fill, then I expect to be able to adjust from no fill to a fill and to apply the flood with a single click, but that never happens.

Taking this a step further, if I have a selection made and try to paint with the vector brush inside that selection, the paint doesn't obey the boundaries of the selection.  What's the point of the selection if it doesn't set boundaries?

Search results for fill tool

You seem to be laboring under a misconception. There are 2 fill tools, one for the draw persona, and one for the pixel persona. From your description, it appears you are trying to apply a vector gradient to a portion of a bitmap. Doesn't work that way. The gradient can be applied to an area of the bitmap that has been made a selection, or a vector object w. a gradient can be nested as a child within the pixel layer.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

As Gdenby mentioned, the pixel tools and vector tools do not mix, but they do, however, have their mutual advantages. Pixel masks can be applied to vector layers, and pixel brushes can be applied to vector objects.

Taking this a step further, if I have a selection made and try to paint with the vector brush inside that selection, the paint doesn't obey the boundaries of the selection.  What's the point of the selection if it doesn't set boundaries?

That is because you are using a vector brush on a pixel selection. Instead, use the pixel brush on the pixel selection, though I don't think that is your intention. There is a feature on the roadmap to convert pixel selections to vector objects. That will accomplish this task easier.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

My friend I agree with you with somethings, affinity photo needs to be more intuitive, but you want it be like photoshop and affinity photo isnt photoshop is affinity photo and you need to learn its logic how it works on the contrary you want affinity photo be photoshop, and in that case stay with photoshop, affinity photo is affinity photo not photoshop.