Sign in to follow this  
pgraficzny

Affinity Photo - Error reading CR2 files

Hey, this is unfortunately because the SerifLabs raw engine doesn't support sRAW or mRAW formats from the Canon cameras - it will only open full sized raw files correctly at the moment. This is hopefully something we can fix.

Is there a reason why you've shot in one of the lower resolution raw formats? I understand they have their uses for types of photography (e.g. live shows and events with quick turnarounds) but they're generally considered more harmful than good, especially since the information is not truly "raw". As I understand it, sRAW and mRAW files are demosaiced in camera (as opposed to by the software) so they can be downsampled, and there's also chroma subsampling, so it throws away valuable colour information. They're not a whole lot better than JPEGs (and at least with a "fine" JPEG you would have the full image resolution)...

Apologies as the only solution I can suggest for now is to shoot in full-size regular RAW.

Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more