You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No, Manuela, it is not a paid upgrade … simply go to the Mac App Store, click the Updates tab and download the latest version. That should definitely work …  :)

(Though I guess you should be able to open Designer 1.4 as well … hmm …)

Hello A_B_C, thank you for replying.

I'm probably overlooking something very simple, but

> go to the Mac App Store, click the Updates tab and download the latest version

I get 'No updates available'

Also, if I go to AD in the App Store, I get the button to pay it, no other option. Next step would be logging in to the store, but I'm not sure if by doing that I automatically pay or if there will be a page where I still can confirm or cancel the payment.

But it's not an elegant user experience ;-)

Personally, I think it is a lot more elegant than having to deal with product registration codes, logging into different developer sites to update their apps individually, etc.

Also, check out the options available in System Preferences > App Store. Among other things, you can optionally set it to automatically check for updates, download them in the background & notify you when they are ready to be installed, & even install app updates without you having to do anything. IMO, it does not get much more elegant than that!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

> Also, check out the options available in System Preferences > App Store. Among other things, you can optionally set it to
> automatically check for updates, download them in the background & notify you when they are ready to be installed, &
> even install app updates without you having to do anything.

Yes. All were checked, yet the messages I got for AD were "quit unexpectedly" and "no updates available".

It's solved now, but I stand by what I said.

It's solved now, but I stand by what I said.

What you said in your previous post (as quoted by R C-R) was

But it's not an elegant user experience ;-)

and what you said in your post before that was

I'm probably overlooking something very simple, but

> go to the Mac App Store, click the Updates tab and download the latest version

I get 'No updates available'

Also, if I go to AD in the App Store, I get the button to pay it, no other option. Next step would be logging in to the store....

If you haven't logged in yet, how can the MAS know to offer you anything other than a button to pay for the product?  That aside, it does seem a bit silly that it tells you there are no updates available when it doesn't know what products you own: the Updates tab should simply tell you that you need to be logged in to see the relevant information.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes. All were checked, yet the messages I got for AD were "quit unexpectedly" and "no updates available".

You do have to remain signed into the store with your Apple ID for the options to work. Otherwise, there is no way for the store to know if you have bought anything & therefor are entitled to free updates.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That aside, it does seem a bit silly that it tells you there are no updates available when it doesn't know what products you own: the Updates tab should simply tell you that you need to be logged in to see the relevant information.

I think that would be confusing for first time users.

Of course, all anybody really needs to do if they are uncertain about any of this is to open the App Store help window & spend a few minutes browsing its contents (there are only eight topics) ... but realistically that probably happens about a often as for the Affinity apps.  :(

Affinity Photo 

Hmm … I could swear the German App Store has always notified me of updates in the past, even if I wasn’t logged in to my account. I had the impression that the installed apps are registered in a database on my system, and the App Store would scan this database in order to find available updates. Only on a download attempt I was asked for a login … hmm …  :unsure:

I think that would be confusing for first time users.

Why would it be confusing? As a first-time user you wouldn't have bought anything yet, so you wouldn't expect there to be any updates for your previous purchases.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This might be of interest in the present context as well:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203604

“The App Store uses Spotlight indexing to know when applications have updates available and to process those updates.”  :)

Thank you :-)

(The panel they show was already empty in my settings.)

Hmm … I could swear the German App Store has always notified me of updates in the past, even if I wasn’t logged in to my account. I had the impression that the installed apps are registered in a database on my system, and the App Store would scan this database in order to find available updates. Only on a download attempt I was asked for a login … hmm …  :unsure:

I was just doing a little testing with my U.S. App Store account: even after I signed out, it still showed "Open" for any app I already bought & was installed on my Mac, rather than a purchase price or "Buy" button. All my apps are up to date so I don't know exactly what would happen in the Updates tab, but since even after signing out it still shows a list of my recent updates I suspect it would still not let me buy any MAS app a second time.

Affinity Photo 

Why would it be confusing? As a first-time user you wouldn't have bought anything yet, so you wouldn't expect there to be any updates for your previous purchases.

But you also might not know anything about what a message telling you to sign in was asking you to do.

Besides, with no disrespect intended to any Mac Affinity users here, after many years of participating in Apple's "community" support site, I am painfully aware that a lot of users have no idea of the differences between an app they bought through Apple's store & one they bought from another source, or sometimes even what an update is & how it differs from a purchase.

Apple tries to accommodate users of any experience (or interest) level for this, but there is no way to make everything obvious to everyone.

Affinity Photo